How common is it to charge 300 miles?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobo

I did it today. On the dash, I am talking about the middle number, just over 300 miles range.
NOT the TOP number.
I took a pic of my dash, but still haven't figured out how to post the picture?

I don't know how common it is, but I've seen many pictures on other Bolt forums of exactly what you describe. In my experience, it depends on outside temperature (warm is better), your driving style (slower is better) and how much you use heat or A/C (none is better). I've gotten 5.1-5.2 miles/kWh for about 100 miles or so, then my driving habits changed (I speed up/turn on A/C) and it dropped to around 4.5. Since the battery is 60kWh, a 5.0 mile/kWh reading will calculate to 300 miles range.

Thanks for your input. I am new to electric vehicles, so lots to learn.
Including the nomenclature.
Like miles/kWh.

I also had an interesting event.
I was returning from a approx 70 mile trip.
Dashboard showed 250 miles range.
Thru the mountains. Varying terrain, but mostly up hill.
Then I hit the various summits, then much downhill.
I used the "paddle" on the steering wheel a lot.
When I got home......I read 248 miles range....WOW... in a 70 mile trip.

bobo said:
Thanks for your input. I am new to electric vehicles, so lots to learn.
Including the nomenclature.
Like miles/kWh.

I also had an interesting event.
I was returning from a approx 70 mile trip.
Dashboard showed 250 miles range.
Thru the mountains. Varying terrain, but mostly up hill.
Then I hit the various summits, then much downhill.
I used the "paddle" on the steering wheel a lot.
When I got home......I read 248 miles range....WOW... in a 70 mile trip.

Fantastic isn't it. I'm new to all this too. You don't really need to use the paddle if you keep the shifter in L. It will do all of its own regen-ing without touching the paddle. I do notice a slight extra drag approaching a light when I use it in L. Let go and it relaxes slightly. But I find I just barely use it staying in L.

I have done it , but my route to work is not very good for getting that , I avg 3.5 mpk
108 mile round trip in austin most of it is farm/market roads and tollways

I have seen it reach 280-290 on Hilltop Reserve. I rarely charge to 100%.

My daily commute is mostly downhill for the first half and it is not uncommon in the summer to hit 300-325 on the middle number. If I charged to 100%, this would be quite common. One time, when going on a trip and starting at 100%, I reached 345 on the middle range by the time I got down the hills.

My typical RT commute is around 4.5- 5.0 mi/kWh in winter months, and as high as 6.2 in summer.

So, to preserve the life of my battery, I should not charge 100% all the time.
I have read on the Tesla 3, to do something like a 10%-90% range???
I almost bought a Tesla 3... the 35K model.
Thanks.

bobo said:
So, to preserve the life of my battery, I should not charge 100% all the time.
I have read on the Tesla 3, to do something like a 10%-90% range???
I almost bought a Tesla 3... the 35K model.
Thanks.
I heard two things about the Model 3:

1) it is the $65,000 model, stripped down to $35,000; and

2) Tesla cannot afford to sell the Model 3 at $35,000. So they discontinued sales at $35,000 in favor of a leased version.

Do you have any info on these?

For the last 2-1/2 years I have charged my Bolt EV to 100%.

I just started experimenting with Hilltop Reserve only for the purpose of enabling regenerative braking on L right from the start of my drive.

I am losing about 20 miles on my GOM each time.

1) The "extras" (options) on the $35k model 3 are far, far less "luxury" than on the $55k model
2) the battery size (and thus range) on the $35k model is far less ("Standard range", or SR, compared to "medium range" {MR} or "long range" {LR})
3) Tesla is NOT leasing, they are *selling* every one they can produce, so they don't bother with leasing
4) good luck being able to get a $35k model (oh, and even that one has a $1000 "destination fee" charge) - you *can* buy the "standard range plus" with a few extras for around $39k (and also get about 20 miles more range).

I use hill top reserve mostly but charged to full recently and the middle average number was 293 when the OnStar app reported full.

I drive a lot in the city without the air conditioning on and most mornings I start off with 410 miles

Dankrez said:
I drive a lot in the city without the air conditioning on and most mornings I start off with 410 miles
How often have you driven 300+ miles on one charge?

Back