Re: Introducing EV-MODS Aftermarket Parts for Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolt2019

I did not start this thread. EVMODS did with a bit of an advertising post. I then asked the following question about one of the products mentioned in that now deleted post.

The coil-over kit...is that bolt-on? Or does it require modification?

Andy is being modest in what he's accomplished with this car so far. He outran two Corvettes, six Camaros, seven Mustangs, a Mitsubishi Evo and a Porsche 718 GTS Boxster on the QA1 Autocross and a Shelby GT500 on the Falken Tires road course at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
PS-Andrew-Fritts-2018-Chevrolet-Bolt-DriveOPTIMA-Las-Vegas-2019_29.jpg

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries

How many miles/how long have you used the 245/45R17 Falken Azenis 615k+ Ultra High Performance Tires? The standard size is 245/50R17 so I guess there's a minor change in overall diameter (and speedo/odometer accuracy - ??)

IMO, lack of AWD is a deficiency on the Bolt, so a better performance tire is on my wish list

Bolt2019 said:
The coil-over kit...is that bolt-on? Or does it require modification?

The BC Racing Coil-Over Kit is being engineered for the Bolt EV. It will be 100% Bolt On; bolt onto the Bolt, lol. I anticipate having a first article by end of month and be in production soon.

trevmar said:
How many miles/how long have you used the 245/45R17 Falken Azenis 615k+ Ultra High Performance Tires? The standard size is 245/50R17 so I guess there's a minor change in overall diameter (and speedo/odometer accuracy - ??)

IMO, lack of AWD is a deficiency on the Bolt, so a better performance tire is on my wish list

The OE Tire size is 215/50R17. The 245/45R17 is over and inch wider and identical diameter. I preferred the 235/40R17 for acceleration and handling but the tire was too short for the already low RPM limited top speed. With the shorter 235/40s my top speed was around 89mph. I am working with a tuner on a tune for our Bolts that should open up tire sizes.

The performance of the tires is outstanding. No wheel slip in dry straight line acceleration and much improved handling. Most noticeable is under hard braking in the dry; they must cut stopping distance by at least 1/3 vs the hard oe tires.

Range is reduced by about 15% with the HP 200 UTQG Tires. This is not a big deal with home Level 2 Charging but noteworthy. I was not planning on running the tires on the street regularly due to range and wear; however they improve the performance of the car so much I find I leave them on unless I am going on a long trip.

Regards

Andy

Funny. By you (EVMODS? EV-MODS?) deleting your OP, it makes my post look like a question out of the blue to no one.

Thanks Andy for the correction - my typo. I'm not so interested in max speed or hard braking but for mostly urban road use it sounds like the wider tires with slightly lower profiles are the way to go. Wider wheels are presumably a necessity - correct?

trevmar said:
Thanks Andy for the correction - my typo. I'm not so interested in max speed or hard braking but for mostly urban road use it sounds like the wider tires with slightly lower profiles are the way to go. Wider wheels are presumably a necessity - correct?

You can get some awesome increase in grip and steering precision / accuracy with High Performance Tires on the stock rims. Something like a 225/45 in a Ultra High Performance Tire would yield you much improved feel for the vehicle and road.

Back