Does the MyChevrolet App work?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marspilgrim

Granted I just got my 2017 Bolt six days ago and I'm still learning, but the App seems to suck. What I'm looking for is the ability to precondition the car remotely, like as I get out of the shower or at the office which is out of fob range. Cooled in the summer, and defrosted and toasty in the winter. The KeyPass thing only works if I'm standing next to the car and at that point I can use the keyfob to remote start it.

I did push the OnStar button last night and the lady gave me five months of the Guidance package which is supposed to do what I want. From their website it looks like I only need the remote package. She mentioned getting some email within 48 hours so maybe I have to wait for that for it to be enabled? Right now, just 25 feet from the car, the App just shows Not Connected and I can't lock/unlock, precondition, etc., the buttons are just greyed out. All help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I can answer the basic question for me.
Yes, the app works. I (especially in winter) frequently use it to precondition the car.
It should only need the "Basic" package from OnStar, which I believe is still included with the car for 5 years (was when I got my 17).

As for "the app seems to suck"...
It's not the greatest. But it should work... ;-)

I just purchased my 2019 Bolt EV while I am running out my lease of my 2017 Bolt EV and now both are on the app and I did not have to do anything to install the new one!

Thanks! After my third call to OnStar, who transfered me to Chevy for app support, I may have accidentally figured it out. About all Support could offer was sign out and in, or reinstall the app. So I reinstalled it and this time got the OnStar connected, with the KeyPass thing not yet set up. And now the remote key fob features are active and it appears I can precondition. So maybe having both going, they conflict? I'll know more tomorrow when I can get a good quarter of a mile away from the car and see if I can still turn on preconditioning, etc. It isn't the most elegant app but it seems to work well enough. I just wish their support knew how it worked.

I hope what you say is true that Basic should let me precondition. Then I can let the trial months of Guidance lapse.

marspilgrim said:
I hope what you say is true that Basic should let me precondition. Then I can let the trial months of Guidance lapse.
I got my Bolt in October 2017.
I have never paid for an OnStar subscription, so I'm just on basic.

My precondition still works.

Good luck!

Yes the Chevy app works but I haven't used it since the 1st few months after I leased my Bolt over 2.5 yrs ago. No real need for it.

One use is if you want to leave the key in the car. For example, I leave the key fob in a RF pouch in the car and use the App or my Apple Watch to open the car. This is useful when, e.g., running where you do not want to carry the key fob and/or a phone.

I do not have on OnStar subscription and use the MyChevy app all the time.

Especially when I am using a DCFC and want to monitor its progress while dining.

Back