Must have Mods for Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ular

I am starting my Mods List for my Bolt. Here are my first, most important Items. I am open to suggestions if anyone thinks of anything I have missed.

I thought it would need headlight improvements, however it says it comes with HID headlights/projectors already, so maybe it will be significantly better than the Volt.

1. Homelink. This is available aftermarket, with the same three buttons, and should be fairly easy install, hopefully in overhead console.

2. Spare tire. (If not available from Chevrolet) Also small jack and tools.

3. Alternate High performance rims and tires. (In case I decide to Autocross it) Enkei makes a 15 pound wheel, 17" X 7" for the Scion FRS, which I believe is the same bolt pattern as the gen2 Volt, and which is what I would expect the Bolt to use also, since it is the same weight as the new Volt. I Would probably use Bridgestone Potenza RE-71A tires, which are the best thing currently available for that rim.

Ular said:
I am starting my Mods List for my Bolt. Here are my first, most important Items. I am open to suggestions if anyone thinks of anything I have missed.

I thought it would need headlight improvements, however it says it comes with HID headlights/projectors already, so maybe it will be significantly better than the Volt.

1. Homelink. This is available aftermarket, with the same three buttons, and should be fairly easy install, hopefully in overhead console.

2. Spare tire. (If not available from Chevrolet) Also small jack and tools.

3. Alternate High performance rims and tires. (In case I decide to Autocross it) Enkei makes a 15 pound wheel, 17" X 7" for the Scion FRS, which I believe is the same bolt pattern as the gen2 Volt, and which is what I would expect the Bolt to use also, since it is the same weight as the new Volt. I Would probably use Bridgestone Potenza RE-71A tires, which are the best thing currently available for that rim.

Your opinions and results may vary. Mine certainly do; two years in, none of the above have been necessary.
Two lists might be interesting:

Modifications and additions an owner might reasonably do/have done theyself.
1. Window tinting (Not For Us.)
2. Blacking out the chrome trim (NFU)
3. Speaker upgrades (NFU)
4. Sound deadening (NFU - We don't do enough high speed highway travel with the Bolt.)
5. Performance tires (NFU - We might choose the Michelins without self sealing next time, but don't feel the need for more stiction at the reduction of efficiency/range.)
6. Cruze Eco forged wheels (Yes, would pay $250 for a set of used ones if we could find them.)
7. Winter tires (We're using Cruze 16" steel wheels and Nokian Hakkapilitta.)
8. Homelink (NFU - why is a mounted button worth the cost and installation hassle over an unmounted button?)
9. Spare tire (NFU - for our local use, the self sealing Michelins and tire pressure readouts suffice.)

Modifications and additions GM should have done for those who might pay additionally for them:.
1. Following cruise.
2. Homelink
3. Better seats
4. Narrower console. Space we seldom use is taken from the seat belt fastening area, which we use several times daily.
5. Optional spare and jack. Other GM cars had that choice in years past.
6. Lighted locking charge port.
7. 220-volt connection/adapter/plug for the OEM EVSE.
8. Dual motor AWD performance version
9. Roof rack cross bars.

jack vines

Since the #1 question always asked is "how far will it go?", I'm dismayed that none of the above suggestions deal with enhancing the car's range; just the opposite, some are range-reducing. Just goes to show that, once you own an EV, range is simply not an issue, especially with a Bolt.

JoeS said:
Since the #1 question always asked is "how far will it go?", I'm dismayed that none of the above suggestions deal with enhancing the car's range; just the opposite, some are range-reducing. Just goes to show that, once you own an EV, range is simply not an issue, especially with a Bolt.

Just wait a few. The vocal minority who want to cross-country road trip their BEVs will be along.

jack vines

What are the stickiest tires out there? I love the power and torque off the line but my tires spin all the time. I even upgraded the front from stock traction "A" tires to "AA" road rally tires and my wheels still squeal with a full pedal press.

Is my only option to add lead weight to the front?!

Basically a full summer-only tire, just read the reviews on tirerack.com, etc. as long as you don't care about the significant range decrease. I suspect that almost nobody here would do that as the reason for the Bolt is less vehicle expense and getting as much of the range as possible.

Change of tire had an immeasurable affect on range for me.

I went a year on the stock "A" rated tires and 2 years on Riken Raptor "AA" rated tires and then recently went back to stock. Didn't notice anything different.

I don't know If I would call this topic.... "Must Have Mods".

Those lists of stuff are costly, difficult, and impractical for most..

Maybe you should call it ... "MY WISH LIST OF MODS" instead...

Some people are ready to throw tons of money at their vehicles to improve some perceived need. And in the process end up with perfectly good "extra parts".

I have heard about the squeaking tires... but I find that it's not just acceleration. The car slides in tight turns and hard braking at high speed. I wonder if the tires are too small for the weight of the vehicle or the suspension is tuned wrong. My car is brand new and I am pondering differernt tires. My other car is a Mazda 5 and emergency braking at high speed is significantly better.

vicenac said:
I have heard about the squeaking tires... but I find that it's not just acceleration. The car slides in tight turns and hard braking at high speed. I wonder if the tires are too small for the weight of the vehicle or the suspension is tuned wrong. My car is brand new and I am pondering differernt tires. My other car is a Mazda 5 and emergency braking at high speed is significantly better.

You should not be second guessing the "tuning" or the choice of tires of a manufacturer. Live with new tires. Dont starts re-designing.

I also went from a 2010 Mazda 5 to the 2017 Bolt. Obviously Mazda's are known as drivers cars, pretty much every model. I ran all season performance tires on it but they were less good in 5 degree weather and 6 inches of snow obviously since they had a summer bias. The Bolt is a BEV and its design spec is for efficient range and so it came with low rolling resistance tires. I could put race slicks on it if I wanted to lower my range that much and I suspect the Bolt would be fun on an autocross course.

I did find the OEM tires a little to "slick" so I put on the Nokian WR G4 all weather tire. Now I don't worry about winter or heavy rains, and it also sticks better on dry pavement but the car can still over power them. Perfect for Chicago that has every season. I'm past my boy racer age but if I still lived in the southwest then I would have went with a more summer biased tire that still had some low rolling resistant qualities. Traction vs range is a trade off that will be different for each individual.

Back