Question for Anyone with Chargepoint Home

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xflow7

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a Chargepoint Home EVSE. One question I have is this: I plan to have it mounted/plugged-in inside the garage, but my car lives outside for now so I intend to have the J1772 plug stored in a holster outside when not plugged into the car.

Will the ChargePoint care at all if the J1772 plug isn't stored "plugged" into the receiver on the unit itself when not in use?

Thanks!

Dave

The "receiver" on the charger is almost certainly just a "holster" that you hang the plug on - I don't think I've ever seen any charger that has electrical connections in there. It shouldn't matter where the plug is when you're not using the charger.

Thanks.

That was my assumption also, but I wanted to confirm simply because the ChargePoint plug receiver appears to be more of a "contraption" than the holders on other chargers I've seen, which made me wonder if there was some logic built in to do something depending on whether the plug was detected or not.

I'll continue assuming it's "dumb" and see what happens once I get the unit, I guess.

Dave

One thing to note, are you planning to leave the cable on the ground running under the closed garage door? The could be bad but I'm not an electrician. The cable would be compressed while all that current is running through it, plus the extra abrasion over time will wear on it.

I do it sometimes but I have cut two 4-inch pieces of 3/4 inch square wooden dowels to put on either side of my cable at the corner of the garage door. That keeps the bottom rubber seal of the door off the cable.

On my garage door, the bottom seal ends an inch or two inboard of the edge of the garage opening, with a face seal along the sides covering up the gap.

Happily, by notching the side face seal and tweaking the close position of the door there's enough space for the cable to sneak through without being compressed, and enough cushion in the bottom seal that the rest of the width is sealed.

Dave

I have a Chargepoint Home and that "holster" gets knocked off regularly, so I can assure you there's nothing electrical - it's just plastic. And mine will probably get worn out at some point!

Back