Transformer Installed at EA's Bakersfield Station

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Chevy Bolt Supporter
Sometime in the past week PG&E has installed the transformer for the Electrify America station in Bakersfield, California.

RTEmagicC_20190915-EA-Bakersfield-01-cropped.jpg.jpg

The four-kiosk station has stood nearly complete--less the transformer--for months at Panera Bread.

The station remains offline and the protective plastic wrap, what remains of it, is still on the equipment and cables.

EA's transformer finally installed by PG&E at Panera Bread in Bakersfield, CA.

EA's bakersfield station's four kiosks can serve vehicles with CCS connectors for fast charging. One of the kiosks serves a dual role, charging either CCS cars or those using the CHAdeMO standard, such as the Nissan Leaf.

Ollie Danner, a local EV entrepreneur, said at this Saturday's Drive Electric event in Bakersfield that he'd followed a PG&E truck with the transformer into town to the Panera Bread site.

Drivers using the CHAdeMO DCFC standard should note that the CHAdeMO kiosk also has a CCS cable. If a CCS capable car is charging at the kiosk, the CHAdeMO cable won't be enabled and you'll have to wait until the other vehicle finishes charging.

Dual head kiosk with CCS and CHAdeMO cables at the EA station in Bakersfield, CA.

RTEmagicC_20190915-EA_Bakersfield-05-cropped.jpg.jpg

EA's Panera Bread site in Bakersfield is live. Two of four kiosks are down. I had trouble initiating a session on unit 4 but they rebooted it and after a few minutes it connected. When I left there was a Kona at the CCS/CHAdeMO station calling in to initiate a charge. As feared if any CHAdeMO car came by they would have to wait for her to finish on the CCS plug because they couldn't use the CCS unit 4 that I was leaving.

Paul

paulgipe said:
As feared if any CHAdeMO car came by they would have to wait for her to finish on the CCS plug because they couldn't use the CCS unit 4 that I was leaving.
This reminds me that good charging etiquette at a station equipped with multiple chargers but only one with CHAdeMO would be to avoid using the charger with the CHAdeMO plug unless it was the only one free or working. That way you won't block a CHAdeMO car unless you have to.

Based on pictures posted (thx for whoever did that!) these are ABB units.

Nobody has yet said what the max rate of the 4 different chargers are (on plugshare), although at least one is 350 kW, based on a photo of the tag on the unit. If somebody charges there, could you update the description (or post a note if the description is locked) about the charging rates of the different units?

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186194

SeanNelson said:
paulgipe said:
As feared if any CHAdeMO car came by they would have to wait for her to finish on the CCS plug because they couldn't use the CCS unit 4 that I was leaving.
This reminds me that good charging etiquette at a station equipped with multiple chargers but only one with CHAdeMO would be to avoid using the charger with the CHAdeMO plug unless it was the only one free or working. That way you won't block a CHAdeMO car unless you have to.
How the tides have turned. There used to be a station in Danbury CT with two DCFCs. One was a CCS/CHAdeMO and the other was CHAdeMO only. I would frequently see Leafs charging at the CCS/CHAdeMO charger when the CHAdeMO only was available.

SparkE said:
Based on pictures posted (thx for whoever did that!) these are ABB units.

Nobody has yet said what the max rate of the 4 different chargers are (on plugshare), although at least one is 350 kW, based on a photo of the tag on the unit. If somebody charges there, could you update the description (or post a note if the description is locked) about the charging rates of the different units?

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186194

Yes, ABB units. I posted the pic of the tag. Some are 150 kW. CHAdeMO is 50 kW, I do remember that.

Paul

Back