What about a elec heating pad on dash?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobo

This is probably a dumb question. My first WINTER with Bolt.
I was thinking of buying a 12x24inch 110 volt heating pad.

Putting it on the dash close as I can get it to windshield.
And Plugging it into a small AC/DC inverter plugged into the 12VDC plug.

Thumbs up or down?

Can you explain that more? What exactly are you trying to accomplish doing that? The heater will quickly clear the windshield in the morning if that's what your aiming to do, and you can also precondition.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 12v socket is unpowered when the car is off.

I was thinking of using a heating pad for a constant low heat source to clear the windshield of the light haze while I was driving in mild temperatures.
Thanks.

bobo said:
I was thinking of using a heating pad for a constant low heat source to clear the windshield of the light haze while I was driving in mild temperatures.
Thanks.
I have a feeling it would cause more issues because the heated air near the pad can hold more moisture which would then condense out on the cold glass. I guess you're relying on the pad to heat with windshield too, but I'm a bit skeptical that it would be close enough to most of the glass to help.

They are probably about 180 watts but they're designed for direct contact (sore back muscles) rather than radiating heat at a distance. I suspect your dash will be warmed but the windshield won't benefit. But I guess you could find out with a $20 heating pad.

There are a whole bunch of 12V electric blankets on the market for use in autos, RV's and trucks. I doubt your idea will work but at least this option eliminates the need for a 110v inverter.

Back