iansanderson

Re: Clicking Noise From Steering

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Just had the "F support" replaced on my 02/18 build Bolt. Same issue as described, and it was driving me nuts! Thankfully, this post made it easy to diagnose for the tech.

gpsman

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:40 am

I had my rack & pinion parts replaced today. Steering column would rattle when going over pot holes or washboard road. Also developed a tiny amount of “play”.

Interestingly they had to drain and refill one of the coolent reserviors in the process (it didn’t say which). Then they had to re-teach the steering control module the “soft stops”. Also looks like I got a free front-end alignment out of the process as well.

Replace: F-(S) Gear (1)
Replace: Bolts (4)
Replace: Coolent (1)

forevermore

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:03 pm

We've been having a similar problem on our Bolt. knocking sound whenever we turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. Leased in October, 2017. 30k mile. Taking it in this week. Local dealer was unaware of such a symptom, but it seems that quite a few people have reported a similar issue on multiple boards.

SeanNelson

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 am

Some folks have discovered that clicking sounds or "bumps" that you feel while turning the steering wheel are the result of the U-joints in the steering shaft in front of the brake and accelerator pedals bumping into your carpeting or floor mats. Simple and easy to check without having to bother with a trip to the dealer, so it's worth having a look.

forevermore

Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:07 am

I took to our local dealer on 8/22. Diagnosed by removing shaft and noise was not present in column. Noise traced to the inside of the steering gear. Replaced steering gear assembly and noise not present. Covered under warranty.

theothertom

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:44 am

Thanks for the follow up

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”