xflow7
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 am

Heat On While Fast Charging?

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi all,

Is there a way to have the cabin heat run while fast charging?

I have a road trip coming up which is going to require a stop or two along the way to charge. Normally, I'd go sit inside at the rest area or whatever. But since I'll have the dog with me I'd like to be able to sit with him in a nice warm car.

Can the car DC charge while powered on while the heat runs? I realize that could nominally slow the charge rate if the total power into the vehicle is limited to, but I expect the charge rate to be less than the max ~55kW anyway due to the temperature, tapering, etc.

Once before I tried putting the car in the diagnostic power on mode (or whatever they call it), where you hold the power button without the brake applied for 10sec or something. But this didn't seem to allow the heat to actually come on.

Thanks,

Dave

Bolt2019
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 5:20 am

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:18 pm

I frequently arrive at a DC charger, press P, leave whatever HVAC is going, get out, set up charging, get in, read everything on the internet, or maybe press main button and go expel waste or get something to eat or drink, come back, turn main button on returning HVAC again and finish reading the internet.
Doing that at an L2, however, you really see that the heat is on and that charging would take considerably longer.

SeanNelson
Posts: 1461
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:43 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:30 pm

xflow7 wrote:Is there a way to have the cabin heat run while fast charging?

Absolutely, just don't turn the car off. You can charge, start charging, or end charging with the car turned on. And you can turn the car on or off while charging. So just have the car turned on with the HVAC running while you're plugged in.

xflow7
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 am

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Great. Thank you both. That's what I was hoping to hear. :)

Best,

Dave

PackardV8
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:51 pm

The question not asked, but it's also possible to leave the AC on while making a quick errand stop. I do it often in the summer; lock the car, walk away and am always gratified to return to a cool car and note the range estimate didn't even drop one mile.

jack vines
My vehicles
2017 Bolt Premier Cajun Red
2011 Saab 9-4X
2005 Saab 9-5
1998 Saab 9000 Aero
2004 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1956 Studebaker Hawk custom with a supercharged Packard V8
1955 Studebaker custom pickup with a Packard V8

BoltEV
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:13 am

PackardV8 wrote:The question not asked, but it's also possible to leave the AC on while making a quick errand stop. I do it often in the summer; lock the car, walk away and am always gratified to return to a cool car and note the range estimate didn't even drop one mile.

jack vines

And I often do the same to keep my iPhone charging.

Using the following apps concurrently drains faster than it is able to charge:

Uber Driver
SiriusXM
Waze

Having a Mophie battery case has ameliorated the problem ($10 refurbished Amazon).

SparkE
Moderator
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:20 am

If one wishes (needs)more current than the USB ports in the car can provide, buy a 'cigarette lighter' <-> USB charger plug that supplies 3 (or more) amps. There are many to choose from. I have had this one in my cars for years (dual USB, 2.4A each, 4.8A total) :

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13412



Image

BoltEV
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:54 pm

SparkE wrote:If one wishes (needs)more current than the USB ports in the car can provide, buy a 'cigarette lighter' <-> USB charger plug that supplies 3 (or more) amps. There are many to choose from. I have had this one in my cars for years (dual USB, 2.4A each, 4.8A total)

How many amps does do the in-board USB supply?

I previously considered your suggestion; but I must use the in-board USB port to a wired cable in order for Apple CarPlay to function, so I can use both the SiriusXM and Waze apps.

I was thinking about a “Y” cable to an external USB battery pack, when I came across the refurbished Moophie battery case for $10.

SparkE
Moderator
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:40 pm

BoltEV wrote:
SparkE wrote:If one wishes (needs)more current than the USB ports in the car can provide, buy a 'cigarette lighter' <-> USB charger plug that supplies 3 (or more) amps. There are many to choose from. I have had this one in my cars for years (dual USB, 2.4A each, 4.8A total)

How many amps does do the in-board USB supply?

I previously considered your suggestion; but I must use the in-board USB port to a wired cable in order for Apple CarPlay to function, so I can use both the SiriusXM and Waze apps.

I was thinking about a “Y” cable to an external USB battery pack, when I came across the refurbished Moophie battery case for $10.


If you need to use a USB port, then you need to use a USB port. (Although I suppose you could swap to the aux power plug when not actively using the apps - but it's probably a pain swapping. Maybe while eating, for 20 minutes?)

According to the Bolt's manual : "The maximum power that can be supplied by one accessory power outlet or spread across all three is 200 watts or 15 amps."

BoltEV
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Before I purchased the Mophie, when taking a coffee/meal break, I would quit all apps and leave the car ON and locked to charge the battery.

Swapping is not a practical option.

You obviously do not utilize Apple or Android CarPlay.

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”