JoeS

Re: chargers and charging habits

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 am

If you're not fussy, there are plenty of low cost no-name brand EVSEs which offer both 120vac/240vac capability with various current settings up to 32A. Just google "EVSE adjustable current" in 'shopping'. Current adjustability is important when, for example, plugging into a 30A dryer outlet where the maximum steady-state current draw should not exceed 24A. Consider buying one with a NEMA 14-50 plug and make/buy a bunch of adapters for other sockets for those road trips. Just remember to never exceed 80% of an outlet's current rating.

Unless I'm in a hurry, I rarely exceed 16A on 240vac and 8A on 120vac - you never know the condition of the house wiring or outlet, and it's a good idea to touch a plug after the car has been charging for a while at an 'unknown' socket to ensure it's only mildly warm at worst.

Agree with xflow7's recommendations, I also normally charge to 60%, and I do recognize that there is a 'hidden' percentage in the Bolt's battery. For some insight, here's just one place which discusses battery longevity:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

BTW, you can't expect a GM battery engineer to say anything other than the party line on a public forum.

Edit 11/20/19: corrected one typo and fixed link.
Last edited by JoeS on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timc

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:31 pm

JoeS wrote: I also normally charge to 60%, and I do recognize that there is a 'hidden' percentage in the Bolt's battery.

If you recognize that some of the Bolt's battery is hidden, how do you know you are charging to 60%?

JoeS

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:58 pm

timc wrote:
JoeS wrote: I also normally charge to 60%, and I do recognize that there is a 'hidden' percentage in the Bolt's battery.
If you recognize that some of the Bolt's battery is hidden, how do you know you are charging to 60%?

Exactness doesn't much matter, as, if I understand correctly, operating the battery somewhere around its midpoint is better than at its extremes.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”