Cold Weather Issues

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCTurner

Other than loss of range due to the issues related to cold weather, has anyone had any issues that are the result of cold winter driving?

Mine is very happy in the cold weather with heating that works well a fairly normal driving experience, We have hit -30 degrees this winter with wind chills at -60.

The tires do leave something to be desired in the snow and cold but, if you are careful they are just fine.

Apparently, there are few issues associated with cold weather and winter driving. I agree. However, one issue that has plagued mine is the amount of snow and ice buildup in the wheel wells when driving on streets covered with snow or slush. I seem to be cleaning them out often as the tires rub when turning or going into or out of driveways.

I've read a few posts about ice building up on the windshield wipers (while driving!!) because there's no engine heat to melt it. I don't live in a very cold climate so I haven't personally experienced it.

theothertom said:
I've read a few posts about ice building up on the windshield wipers (while driving!!) because there's no engine heat to melt it. I don't live in a very cold climate so I haven't personally experienced it.

1) use defroster + heater BEFORE YOU LEAVE (while still plugged in) to warm the windshield. (15 mins of "preconditioning")

2) use anti-freeze windshield washer fluid mixed/diluted for the appropriate temps. Squirting that on the windshield will de-ize it.

RCTurner said:
Other than loss of range due to the issues related to cold weather, has anyone had any issues that are the result of cold winter driving?

Mine is very happy in the cold weather with heating that works well a fairly normal driving experience, We have hit -30 degrees this winter with wind chills at -60.

RCT, nice to know there are others driving EV's in extreme cold conditions and I appreciate you posting your experience. I'm still making do with my B-class EV, which is approaching 50,000 miles. As each year passes, I do notice my winter driving range diminishes. I noticed some high-mileage (80K mile) Bolt EV's for sale, and wonder how those batteries are holding up long term - in particular, what kind of range people can / should expect the Bolt EV to achieve after a few years and 50K miles, driving at -20C with the heater turned on.

The Bolt software estimates range based upon most recent driving practices. There is a functionally worthless reporting which gives a total score based upon outside temperature, climate control use, driving techniques and terrain. For those of us who live on a hilltop in a cold climate, we're always going to get a negative score on those. For those of us who are always going to use pre-conditioning, HVAC set at 72 degrees, heated seats and steering wheel, the climate control score is always going to be full negative.

Guess what GM, we don't get any useful information from that software mix. Come up with factors which give information on which the owner can use and benefit.

Bottom line - we use "Hilltop Reserve" 85% charging, usually use preconditioning and always use full HVAC. The winter range is usually 160 and summer is usually 210. It hasn't decreased in two-and-a-half-years.

jack vines

oilerlord said:
RCTurner said:

RCT, nice to know there are others driving EV's in extreme cold conditions and I appreciate you posting your experience. I'm still making do with my B-class EV, which is approaching 50,000 miles. As each year passes, I do notice my winter driving range diminishes. I noticed some high-mileage (80K mile) Bolt EV's for sale, and wonder how those batteries are holding up long term - in particular, what kind of range people can / should expect the Bolt EV to achieve after a few years and 50K miles, driving at -20C with the heater turned on.

While I can't really speak to the " -20C " portion, Bolts seem to have similar range hit in very cold climates that other Li-Ion batteries do (I am talking about comparing difference in range between temps of 20C and -20C). So if you have experience in % loss due to winter, it is fairly comparable. And the Bolt can pull up to 7.2A @240V while plugged in, so "remote starting" the vehicle to heat the inside and the battery before a 140 mile drive will pull the energy from the wall and not the battery, and make the long trips not only more enjoyable, but more feasible.

As to range loss over time, the Bolt batteries seem to be holding up well, with several vehicles /drivers having over 60K miles, 2-3 years of ownership, and only about 5% battery loss. I read about one guy who bought a used model with almost 100K miles (probably a Uber or Lyft) that had under 10% range loss. That is loads better than the 10-15% *a year* that the Chevy Spark EV could lose.

In a few months I expect a LOT of Bolts to hit the used market, since leasing started in Jan 2017 (or Dec 2016) and most leases are 3 years in the U.S. I also expect the price of used Bolts to plummet once 5-10K of them have hit the used market. So, at the end of next summer, I expect one to be able to pick up a used Bolt in Calif with 40-60K miles for $15K (or less); quite a few higher mileage Bolts in Calif are already selling at $17K-$20K.

Having TorquePro and an OBD2 reader will be useful in determining the health of the battery (as total battery capacity is reported in the pre-2019 models).

Hasn't been below 20F in my area yet at night and they're forecasting a fairly mild December. I'm sure it will get bitter cold Jan-Feb and since I park outside most days I'll have it plugged in every night just so the car can protect the battery if it feels the need to. And I'll let it precondition on grid power before my morning drive for defrosting and easier snow removal. I leave hilltop reserve on but so far this winter I'm seeing about 140 miles on a full charge but I also freely use the heat to stay comfortable so my GOM has lower estimates. The winter range is fine for my typical 18 miles a day, and during the perfect EV weather this year a full charge got me 293 miles on the middle number. But I got the Bolt specifically for the high range knowing that winter would drop it way down, and that was the number I had to plan for if I get stuck in a storm that takes me four hours to get home with the heat cranked.

Agree with marspilgrim - I purposely planned for loss of range in the winter, and it seems to be doing as I expected. Only real surprise is how quickly the windshield fogs up. I didn't anticipate this, but guess it makes sense with the lack of engine heat. I agree, you really have to use the windshield defroster every time the temp is below ~40-45deg. Not a big deal since I have the extra range, but a new concept I just have to get used to with the EV.

1) use defroster + heater BEFORE YOU LEAVE (while still plugged in) to warm the windshield. (15 mins of "preconditioning")

2) use anti-freeze windshield washer fluid mixed/diluted for the appropriate temps. Squirting that on the windshield will de-ize it.
Anti-freeze windshield washer fluid isn't available in most parts of California.
It was a surprise when it froze in a Wisconsin January.

Attachments

• 20220117_Washer.jpg
    20220117_Washer.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Amazon has all kinds of Windshield Washer Fluids and Prime Members pay no shipping. So if you don't have membership, you will have friends that do and they can order for you.

Amazon has all kinds of Windshield Washer Fluids and Prime Members pay no shipping. So if you don't have membership, you will have friends that do and they can order for you.

Because the -35°F is illegal, Amazon won't ship it to the affected zip codes.

Anti-freeze windshield washer fluid isn't available in most parts of California.
It was a surprise when it froze in a Wisconsin January.
Had thought of that wrinkle for Californians with the recent weather. That would suck.

You can make your own ww fluid:
4 litres / 1 gallon water - tap water if you live on the coast with no minerals in your water, distilled / RO otherwise.
1 cup Windex or similar window cleaner
1 cup alcohol - isopropyl, methanol, ethanol, as long as it's 90%, otherwise you need to think about using less water.

From experience this mix is good down to at least -11c/12f. If temperatures were falling to -18c/0f I think I'd be adding at least another cup of alcohol to the mix.

I live in the SF Bay Area (rarely below 35F) and buy my "anti-freeze" washer fluid when I am in the Sierras, or visiting Reno. I only add it when going to those places (or just before going). I don't fill up full full and I add water when I get back home (where it barely freezes, ever).

So if living in CA, one could stop at a car parts store in the mountains to buy, when you would need it.

Back