SparkE

Re: Heat On While Fast Charging?

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:51 am

BoltEV wrote:Swapping is not a practical option.

You obviously do not utilize Apple or Android CarPlay.

I do not use either. (I just set the phone to tell me where to go and listen to it, and only look at the screen when parked, before setting out.)

So it is a pain to unplug the phone from one power source (USB cable), swap to the other for 20 mins, then swap back to the other USB cable?

It confuses the app(s)?

BoltEV

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:07 am

Yes, Waze will not appear on my large display wirelessly (with turn by turn directions on the iPhone screen). It requires a USB connection.

SparkE

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:27 am

BoltEV wrote:Yes, Waze will not appear on my large display wirelessly (with turn by turn directions on the iPhone screen). It requires a USB connection.

So I am confused (or we are simply not understanding each other). When I said "you could swap to the aux power plug when not actively using the apps", I was suggesting that when you aren't using the apps, you unplug the phone from the car's built-in USB port and plug the phone in to the higher-power connection. (That would re-charge the battery in the phone, as it provides 2.4A.) When you DO need the app(s) on the big screen, you just switch the phone back to the built-in USB.

That wouldn't work easily?

cwerdna

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 am

SparkE wrote:
BoltEV wrote:Swapping is not a practical option.

You obviously do not utilize Apple or Android CarPlay.

I do not use either. (I just set the phone to tell me where to go and listen to it, and only look at the screen when parked, before setting out.)

Why would you NOT use CarPlay or Android Auto?

I'm an iOS guy an generally like CarPlay. I find it far superior to trying to use my phone only for navigation. I had 2 rental cars ('19 Altima and '18 Elantra) in the past few months while out of the state (in totally unfamiliar areas) which had CarPlay support. That was great.

I carry an Android phone (for work) as well, but I've never bothered Android Auto for various reasons.

SparkE

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:48 pm

cwerdna wrote:Why would you NOT use CarPlay or Android Auto?

I guess because I am "old school" (and just plain 'old', I guess).

I know where I am going before I start the car - I look it up if I have never been there before (often on a computer, but hey). I generally only use navigation to find the freeway onramp when I am in an area I am not familiar with, and then I do the same : I look it up before starting the car (so I know where I am going) and then turn on audio nav (so that I don't miss a turn).

It works for me. (But then I don't drive for a living - I drive for pleasure, or to get to "pleasure spots".) And I hate taking my eyes off the road.

cwerdna

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 am

I also try to look up places and directions on my computer before going there. I can still enter the destination on my phone and use it to help guide me there.

I definitely don't like the annoyance of having nav running telling me where to go if I know the route.

Sometimes, I need to depart from an unfamiliar area. I'll have the nav app guide me long enough so that I'm on the highway way or street that I'm familiar with then I shut off guidance.

I do use Waze frequently so I do appreciate the heads up both on the display and audibly up police and road hazards ahead. It is definitely easier to see them on my Bolt's 10.2" LCD than the small screen of my iPhone 8. (My '13 Leaf has no CarPlay so I have to live w/the small screen of my phone for Waze when I drive that.)

BoltEV

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:25 pm

SparkE wrote:
BoltEV wrote:Yes, Waze will not appear on my large display wirelessly (with turn by turn directions on the iPhone screen). It requires a USB connection.

So I am confused (or we are simply not understanding each other). When I said "you could swap to the aux power plug when not actively using the apps", I was suggesting that when you aren't using the apps, you unplug the phone from the car's built-in USB port and plug the phone in to the higher-power connection. (That would re-charge the battery in the phone, as it provides 2.4A.) When you DO need the app(s) on the big screen, you just switch the phone back to the built-in USB.

That wouldn't work easily?

Explain to me what I am not understanding that you are:

You want me, in the midst of everything else I have to pay attention to while driving Uber, switch the power source to my iPhone every 20 minutes. It seems to you like it should work easily?

Three switches every hour;

24 switches every day;

144 switches every week!

What exactly am I not understanding?

And as I recall, you were a vocal critic on this forum of those who wanted to pay for the convenience of having built-in Navigator software on our display screen; in addition to Navigation supplied by Apple/Android CarPlay!

Seems to me that build-in Navigation works easily; but I digress...

You miss the main point that I said earlier:

The Mophie iPhone Battery Case has a pass-thru USB connection and provides all the extra amperage that I need to run Uber, SiriusXM and Waze concurrently!

So the issue is really moot.

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”