So are we all going to end up buying our cars after our leases are up?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BoltEV said:
Just pointing out, you never really know the quality, care and handling of any used car, unless you are buying out your own lease! ;)

Which is why I have an OBD reader, and torque pro, to show me the kWh capacity of the battery. I used it to reject seveeral SparkEVs on the used market before finally buying my wife the one that I eventually found with low battery degradation. (I really don't care what the mileage is, so long as the car is in good shape - I would bring it to a mechanic for evaluation).

Sure, it takes extra effort and a little equipment and a little extra time, but my motto has always been "be prepared" (and things generally go better). Or, as a gunnery sergeant used to tell me, "remember the 6 Ps : proper preparation prevents piss poor performance".

BoltEV said:
BMW made the strange decision to limit the gas tank on its "range extender" to about one gallon, instead of the 9 gallons on the Chevy Volt. I guess it gives them some sort of California CARB "points" but is way too limiting for me! I am glad he likes it though.
FWIW, he chose not to get the range extender. He and I discussed it and agreed the REx option on the BMW sort of negated the idea of owning a BEV for urban everyday use. He and his wife fight over who gets the i3, to the point they're going beyond the allowable mileage allowance. Yet another reason he would have bought.

jack vines

PackardV8 said:
He and I discussed it and agreed the REx option on the BMW sort of negated the idea of owning a BEV for urban everyday use.
What is REx option?

Please explain this sentence.

BoltEV said:
PackardV8 said:
He and I discussed it and agreed the REx option on the BMW sort of negated the idea of owning a BEV for urban everyday use.
What is REx option?

BMW i3-speak for Range Extender (i.e., the petrol engine that kicks in when the battery runs out)

SparkE said:
I am hoping that prices will be around $10-12k.
The only used Bolt EVs you are going to find at that price range, if at all, in the upcoming 12 months are going to be those used for Lyft/Uber driving with 100K+ miles on them

SparkE said:
BoltEV said:
PackardV8 said:
What is REx option?

BMW i3-speak for Range Extender (i.e., the petrol engine that kicks in when the battery runs out)
Thanks for that explanation!

“Petrol” - ?? Do you live in the British portion of the San Francisco Bay Area?

I worked in the U.K for awhile, I watch a lot of British TV shows (Graham Norton "Chat" Show is amazingly funny about half the time and amusing most of the other 50%) and I have quite a few Canadian and British (and Australian) friends.

Sometimes I call it petrol, other times gas. I also often use the term that most people around the world use to describe "Soccer" : football. But then I used to watch Soccer games on the Spanish channels back in the day, before it was common to see them broadcast with English commentary in the States, so ... futbol.

BoltEV said:
Did anyone else get one of these “July 4th - turn in your lease” letters?

Yes, I got one. Waiting for the followup letter offering specific terms for extending the lease or a buyout.

sgt1372 said:
BoltEV said:
Did anyone else get one of these “July 4th - turn in your lease” letters?

Yes, I got one. Waiting for the followup letter offering specific terms for extending the lease or a buyout.
My letter turned out to be a fraud!

After driving 25 miles to that specific dealer, their "offer" for a new 2019 Bolt EV turned out to include the amount of the last five monthly lease payments, even though I was surrendering possession of the lease!

When I asked the salesman, who with a straight face made that offer, if he was kidding; he replied: "well, you do not have to accept our offer!"

The fifth dealer I approached 45 miles away down in Orange County sold me one for $3,200 less than the "best price" of the "letter" dealer and I kept my Lease and continued to drive out the remaining miles on the lease; making the remaining payments moot!

I returned the leased 2017 Bolt EV to my original dealer on Tuesday with 44,640 miles and started to drive my brand new 2019 Bolt EV for Uber on Wednesday.

In a separate new thread, I will comment about the apparent better battery mileage of the 2019 model.

There are literally giveaway prices right now. I"m seeing Premiers in the 28K range, LT's in the 24K range. There's still $3750 to be deducted and here in California another $2500. So as I see it Premiers in the very low 20s, LTs in the high teens. Why even consider keeping the old one while that deal still exists?

BoltEV said:
michaelbolt said:
There are literally giveaway prices right now. I"m seeing Premiers in the 28K range, LT's in the 24K range.
Link please.
X2 - I had convinced a relative to buy a Bolt and after wading through the smoke and mirrors of the advertising, he couldn't get a Premier for less than $30K. Only 12% of the US live in CA, so the $2500 isn't there for 88% of us. Still, that $30K is a harsh lick for those of us who bought two years ago and had to pay close to MSRP.

FWIW, the friend ended up buying a Tesla M3 Performance for $50K. The deciding factor for them was AWD, as they are up a ski hill most winter weekends.

jack vines

BoltEV said:
michaelbolt said:
There are literally giveaway prices right now. I"m seeing Premiers in the 28K range, LT's in the 24K range.
Link please.
Community Chevrolet in Burbank CA.

Still listing in $28's for Premier By waiting $1700 of the possible tax money has been lost (expired Oct 1). Of the discounts, the only one that looks "iffy" is $1K trade in, I don't know what that means. All the rest seem legit

So for California buyers considering keeping their cars after lease end, buying a new replacement looks like a strong possibility instead

michaelbolt said:
BoltEV said:
michaelbolt said:
Link please.
Community Chevrolet in Burbank CA.

Still listing in $28's for Premier By waiting $1700 of the possible tax money has been lost (expired Oct 1). Of the discounts, the only one that looks "iffy" is $1K trade in, I don't know what that means. All the rest seem legit

So for California buyers considering keeping their cars after lease end, buying a new replacement looks like a strong possibility instead
I spoke to Community Chevy in Burbank in late July and they were not willing to deal. So I drove all the way down to Orange County to get my best deal:

I bought my MSRP $44,250 Bolt EV Premium from Guaranty Chevy in Santa Ana for $36,500 “out the door” including tax and license on July 31st.

Has HOV Purple stickers, Federal tax credit of $3,750 and California rebate of $2,500 already approved.

Looking online, as you suggest, it appears that Community is now offering the same Loyalty discounts that Guaranty offered last July.

I originally leased my 2019 Bolt Premier (MSRP $43,635) back in Nov 2017. 12k mi/yr. I opted to pay upfront for the lease, bringing my total to $16,745. They had rebates at the time for $6091, which brought my total down to $10,654 (after taxes and including wear and tear protection). -$2500 (CA rebate) -$1000 (So Cal Edison) -$700 (Costco Executive) brought down the total to about $6,500 for a 3 year lease with 36k miles allowance.

Now, after 2 years, I've run 34k miles on the car. The lease residual is stated as $25,745. I can buy a new Premier (MSRP $42,530) for $35,067. -$2000 (CA rebate) - $1875 (fed rebate) -$1000 (So Cal Edison) -$700 (Costco) brings the total down to $29,492.

It will cost me $3747 more to purchase a brand new 2019 Bolt vs buying out my 2017 Bolt after lease end.

I'll be buying my new Bolt soon. I've loved driving the 2017 thusfar. This car will hold me over until I'm ready to buy the Cybertruck :mrgreen:

After having difficulty finding the car/trim/color I wanted, Nissani Chevrolet convinced me to buy the 2020 Bolt (Grey Metallic) for $40k out the door. That's including tax, license, and registration. Taxes are estimated to be about $4k, license, registration, other fees about $1k. So just for the car, it's $35k. I'm still looking at $5575 in rebates, so it ends up costing me about the same as the 2019. But I get it in the color I want, newer model, with the 20 extra miles per charge.

MinwooBolt said:
I originally leased my 2019 Bolt Premier (MSRP $43,635) back in Nov 2017. 12k mi/yr. I opted to pay upfront for the lease, bringing my total to $16,745. They had rebates at the time for $6091, which brought my total down to $10,654 (after taxes and including wear and tear protection). -$2500 (CA rebate) -$1000 (So Cal Edison) -$700 (Costco Executive) brought down the total to about $6,500 for a 3 year lease with 36k miles allowance.

Now, after 2 years, I've run 34k miles on the car. The lease residual is stated as $25,745. I can buy a new Premier (MSRP $42,530) for $35,067. -$2000 (CA rebate) - $1875 (fed rebate) -$1000 (So Cal Edison) -$700 (Costco) brings the total down to $29,492.

It will cost me $3747 more to purchase a brand new 2019 Bolt vs buying out my 2017 Bolt after lease end.

I'll be buying my new Bolt soon. I've loved driving the 2017 thusfar. This car will hold me over until I'm ready to buy the Cybertruck :mrgreen:

MinwooBolt said:
...They had rebates at the time for $6091, which brought my total down to $10,654 (after taxes and including wear and tear protection). -$2500 (CA rebate) -$1000 (So Cal Edison)...

Does So Cal Edison give a rebate EVERY time you purchase an EV?

LADWP only gives only one rebate towards the cost of an L2 installation.

Pigwich said:
So here's the big question... The tax credit is gone, so the price on used Bolts will probably skyrocket when this first round of leases turns in. I'm happy with my car, but I'd sure like faster fast charging, which will probably be a thing in 2020 - Is everybody planning on buying Kias or Hyundais? When the time comes? Their tax credit status is probably fine - Or getting bent over by the bank and buying the lease back at asking (or worse) price? I'm going to have to look a the residual value on my car, but it's probably crazy expensive. I know this forum is sort of languishing, but there's still some activity. I'd live to hear what others think...
I love my 2017 Bolt but feared that the residual value would dissuade me from buying it at lease end. But the data at https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-d2397 shows me my lease's residual value is about $500 UNDER the average selling price. Now I'm tempted to just bring in a check at lease end and be done with it. Plus, I'd keep my red CA HOV stickers. What would y'all do?

rjbailey said:
Now I'm tempted to just bring in a check at lease end and be done with it. Plus, I'd keep my red CA HOV stickers. What would y'all do?
Sales tax is a big factor in California. When you purchase the lease at the residual you must also pay the outstanding sales tax (and license fees of course).

Consider, as I did, a new purchase with “loyalty” discounts for a 2020 model with the newest HOV stickers.

Approaching my mileage limit last year, I purchased a new Premier 2019 msrp $44,250 for $36,500 out the door, instead of my 2017 residual at $25,000 plus tax and license.

Back