Auto braking question

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marspilgrim

Should my 2017 Premier be able to auto brake? I have the warning red lights that flash and beep when I'm coming up on something to fast but I haven't ever felt like it was going to stop without my input. I have the lane keep warning but we lack the auto cruise control. Yesterday I read somewhere that the Bolt will stop itself or at least reduce impact speed "at very low speed". We have a Forester with EyeSight and that thing is amazing, sometimes beginning to brake a second before my natural impulse for the distance. I got it second hand so possibly I'm lacking the feature, but I think I've got most everything available, and it's unlikely that auto braking would be an option by itself and not packaged with a couple other things. Or maybe it only activates when in normal drive "D" mode, because I use "L" 99% of the time? And what would "very low speed" mean anyway? 3 mph? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I wouldn't call it braking, but on my 2017 Premier, it does put the car into a regen mode. It doesn't stop, but it feels like I took my foot off the accelerator. You have to push down a bit to override or let off in L mode and the car will stop.

I also have never experienced braking as I always react to the warning.

In my original 2017 Premiere, the dashboard indicated the lane-change feature, but I never felt anything.

Now in my 2019, I clearly feel the steering working against me if I change lanes without signaling.

Also on freeway lane designations, when safe, I have actually allowed this feature to keep me correctly within my lane; although it steers in a somewhat sine-wave manner to accomplish this.

I find that this auto-correction is not reliable on city street designations.

I've experienced AutoBraking in our 2017 Premium. It seems to correlate with speed of the closing gap/distance, and just before I would have brake hard as well. It also seems to be independent of the separating distance setting. Glad to know there's another set of "eyes".

Our LT doesn't have this feature.

Lane keeping doesn't work very well in the Premium though.

Back