powersurge

Re: Must have Mods for Bolt EV

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:47 pm

vicenac wrote:I have heard about the squeaking tires... but I find that it's not just acceleration. The car slides in tight turns and hard braking at high speed. I wonder if the tires are too small for the weight of the vehicle or the suspension is tuned wrong. My car is brand new and I am pondering differernt tires. My other car is a Mazda 5 and emergency braking at high speed is significantly better.

You should not be second guessing the "tuning" or the choice of tires of a manufacturer. Live with new tires. Dont starts re-designing.

marspilgrim

Re: Must have Mods for Bolt EV

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:39 pm

I also went from a 2010 Mazda 5 to the 2017 Bolt. Obviously Mazda's are known as drivers cars, pretty much every model. I ran all season performance tires on it but they were less good in 5 degree weather and 6 inches of snow obviously since they had a summer bias. The Bolt is a BEV and its design spec is for efficient range and so it came with low rolling resistance tires. I could put race slicks on it if I wanted to lower my range that much and I suspect the Bolt would be fun on an autocross course.

I did find the OEM tires a little to "slick" so I put on the Nokian WR G4 all weather tire. Now I don't worry about winter or heavy rains, and it also sticks better on dry pavement but the car can still over power them. Perfect for Chicago that has every season. I'm past my boy racer age but if I still lived in the southwest then I would have went with a more summer biased tire that still had some low rolling resistant qualities. Traction vs range is a trade off that will be different for each individual.
2017 Bolt EV Premier

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”