DCFC Stations Bakersfield to the Sierra Nevada East Side Coming

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulgipe said:
CalTrans' DCFC Stations on the East Side Not Yet Out to Bid--EA's Under Construction

While funding for CalTrans' District 9 DC Fast Charge stations under the state's 30-30 program has been approved, the stations have yet to go out for bid. Bids likely will be released in July 2019 with construction to begin in the fall. CalTrans' objective is to have the stations in the ground by the end of the year. However, it is more likely that they won't be in service until the first quarter of 2020.

Meanwhile Electrify America has stations under construction at Coso Junction and in Bishop. The Eastern Sierra Electric Vehicle Association's Don Condon is also reporting EA equipment on the ground in Bridgeport. According to photos on PlugShare, the Coso Junction station is quite advanced with EA's kiosks in the ground. It's likely that EA will have its stations operational before those of CalTrans.
Excellent update. Thanks!

Linda Urata of Kern COG has issued a report on the status of DCFC stations on Hwy 58, 14, and 395 (Bakersfield, Tehachapi, Mojave, and Inyokern). These stations have been long awaited.

"California Energy Commission GFO-15-603
DC Fast Chargers for California’s Interregional Corridors Awarded in 2016
CEC Corridor 7: SR 14 East of Santa Clarita to Inyokern
ChargePoint
Palmdale – Target. 2 DCFC and 1 dual L2; utility construction work is currently being performed
Santa Clarita – Kohls. 2 DCFC and 1 dual L2; site designed and in permitting
Mojave – Denny’s. 4 DCFC and 1 dual L2; site designed and in permitting
Inyokern – Brady’s Mobil/Market. 1 DCFC and 1 dual L2; site designed and in permitting
EV Connect
Palmdale is installed at City Hall
Lancaster is almost ready, on K street 400 yards from the I-14.
Mojave and Inyokern are just starting construction. Mojave is at the Airport main building as is Inyokern. Should be operational by August 1"

Note that EV Connect has been promising the start of construction of the Mojave and Inyokern sites for months.

Paul

"CEC Corridor 8 SR 58 East of Bakersfield to Lenwood
Chargepoint
Bakersfield – Bakersfield Countryside Market and Restaurant. 2 DCFC and 1 dual L2; site designed and in permitting
Tehachapi – Denny’s. 2 DCFC and 1 LS; permits received and now scheduling construction
Mojave – 4 DCFC; site designed and in permitting same as SR 14 site.
Boron – Chevron. This site is not going to be built. There is no three-phase power and the local substation is at capacity. SCE has plans to expand the substation but has no timeline. Equipment allocated for this site will be moved to another one"

CalTrans District 9 DCFC Stations Underway on East Side

CalTrans' District 9 has confirmed that construction on the first of four DC Fast Charge station locations has begun. District 9 serves the East Side of California's Sierra Nevada, including Hwy 395 and Hwy 58 in Mono, Inyo, and the eastern part of Kern County.

Construction began 6 January 2020 at the Boron rest stop on Hwy 58. Construction has yet to begin at CalTrans' Division Creek and Coso Junction rest areas on Hwy 395, nor has construction begun on the station at CalTrans' District 9 office in Bishop, California.

CalTrans' Coso Junction rest area is near the Electrify America station. Two stations with a total of five charging kiosks will provide redundancy at an important waypoint on the route to Mammoth Lakes ski area and Yosemite National Park from Southern California.

Completion is expected by June 2020. The DCFC dispensers have been ordered and the local utility company has been notified.

Unlike the recently installed stations at the Camp Roberts rest area on Hwy 101 in the Salinas Valley, CalTrans' District 9 kiosks will be supplied with three-phase power. The Camp Roberts' stations rely on solar PV, batteries, and a single-phase supply. They are often unavailable for a lack of power.

Ten years after the introduction of the Nissan Leaf, a state-wide, non-Tesla DC fast charging network is nearing fruition. There remain regions of California that are not served or are only lightly served by DC fast charging stations for non-Tesla vehicles. The East Side of the Sierra Nevada is one of those.

EA's Bishop station is now online. However, neither EA station at Coso Junction nor Mojave are operational. They have stood idle for more than six months since installation.

Construction has yet to fully begin on ChargePoint's stations in Tehachapi, Mojave, and Brady (Inyokern). There's been no word on EV Connect's state-contracted stations in Mojave or Inyokern.

The long wait for stations on the East Side will continue into the summer months.

I took a casual drive up Hiway 14 last Sunday and discovered a fully functional EA station in Mojave with two 150A and two 350A chargers available.

I used the 350A charger for 30 minutes in my 2019 Bolt EV but was disappointed that it charged at 33Kw from 120 to 180 miles on the GOM.

BoltEV said:
I took a casual drive up Hiway 14 last Sunday and discovered a fully functional EA station in Mojave with two 150A and two 350A chargers available.

I used the 350A charger for 30 minutes in my 2019 Bolt EV but was disappointed that it charged at 33Kw from 120 to 180 miles on the GOM.

Yeah, Mojave has been up for some time. Coso Junction still isn't on line and Bridgeport remains problematic. Bishop has been working.

That charge rate sounds about right for the first step down at 50-55% SOC. See the charge curves on this site and others.

Paul

paulgipe said:
That charge rate sounds about right for the first step down at 50-55% SOC. See the charge curves on this site and others.
But I always get 44Kw at that SOC (up to about 75%) from EVGo and hence, 30 minutes (my typical use of DCFC) gets me more miles.

Plus 30 minutes at EA cost me $8.78 while 30 minutes at EVGo costs me $7.00.

As it turns out I did not need the Mojave “top off” as I arrived home with 75 on the GOM while I only added 60 miles.

2019 Bolt EV Premiere with all options

At 120 miles remaining on the GOM I should have been getting more than 33Kw.

Next time I will use the MyChevy app to get the percentage remaning plus give you the miles driven, both of wich are more accurate readings.

Plus I will drive out of the way so that I use more of the battery before I arrive in Mojave

Back