Chevrolet announces update to all 2017-2019 Bolts with fast charging

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t read the date on the bulletin but when I brought my 2019 into the dealer for the 15,000 tire rotation last week, I asked for any software updates and they told me none were available.

I just tried an Electrify America 350Kw charger yesterday in Mojave and was disappointed to see a 34Kw charging rate on the dashboard when EVGo gives me 45!

Maybe I need this update for this problem as well.

The technical bulletin for this item 20-NA-053 states " Using SPS verify if the vehicle has the latest calibration in the K114B Hybrid / EV Powertrain control module 2." The bulletin continues - (paraphrasing): If not up to date - update module 2. If up to date give the car back to the customer.

So my interpretation is the charge curve will not change to the 2020 DCFC curve or increased maximum charge rate. This should be an improvement but likely not much of one.

BoltEV said:
I just tried an Electrify America 350Kw charger yesterday in Mojave and was disappointed to see a 34Kw charging rate on the dashboard when EVGo gives me 45!

I've had the exact same issue with EA chargers in the SF Bay Area.

The Bolt manual states our car will DCFC at "up to 75kW"..

AJ

AyeJay said:
BoltEV said:
AJ
Have you ever had a Bolt EV charging experience greater than 44Kw?

I understand the higher amp DCFCs are more prevalent up in NorCal.

BoltEV said:

I haven't done that much DCFC but my personal best was 46kW at a newer EVGO unit near Sacramento, CA.

-- I'm hoping this update improves my 2017 Bolt's DCFC performance when it becomes available.

Thank You,
AJ

BoltEV said:
AyeJay said:
BoltEV said:
AJ

Once I had an Electrify America station in Emporia VA charge in the low 50’s for about 20 minutes before dialing back.

I teturned to Mojave one week later and the 350 Kwh EA’s were not working so I used a 150Kwh EA

With about 40 miles on the GOM it started charging at 50 Kwh!

Took my 2017 Bolt in today to my local Chevy dealer have tires rotated and took a copy of the update bulletin with me. They installed the update without a problem and at no cost.

BoltEV said:
I teturned to Mojave one week later and the 350 Kwh EA’s were not working so I used a 150Kwh EA

With about 40 miles on the GOM it started charging at 50 Kwh!

There shouldn't be a difference in charging behavior between a 350 kW and a 150 kW DCFC (on a Bolt), as they both provide more than the maximum amps the Bolt will pull. The Bolt will charge at a max of 150 Amps up to around 50-52% SoC (depending on battery temp - if really cold or really hot, it will charge more slowly). The difference in "kW" rate is due to the voltage of the battery pack as it "fills up". 150A x 340V = 51 kW, 150A x 350V = 52.5 kW, 150A x 360V = 54 kW.

I called my dealer today and he located the DCFC upgrade after I gave him the # on the GM Bulletin andrew1joe posted .. { TY sir! }

https://allev.info/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/20-NA-053.png

I was told: "It's covered under the car's warranty as long as you tell us you have a DCFC issue you would like fixed".

So, I said I did .. :roll: .. & that it was slow, especially on Electrify America units.

I have an appointment for the service free of charge on Monday.

UPDATE 5/4/20: All work was covered under warranty .. I presented a printout of the above bulletin and stated:

"When charging vehicle at public DCFC stations I'm getting Max 40-45kW. Vehicle manual states it should be achieving up to 75kW"

My dealer's service invoice reported: "Incorrect Communication - Programed HPCM2 as per bulletin 20-NA-053"

I haven't tested DCFC performance yet.

AJ

BoltEV said:

Maybe I need this update for this problem as well.

If your traction battery temp is below 75°F, dc charge current will be restricted to less than the top restricted current, which is 150 amps. I use Torque Pro to view my vehicle's data (including battery temperature) https://youtu.be/LjqDk08x9EY

Sometimes EA stations are finicky or defective and won't give full speed. If my battery is warmer than 75 degrees, SOC is less than 55%, and I'm not receiving 150 amps at an EA site, I switch chargers if possible.

AyeJay said:

AJ

I believe you're mistaken. The 2020 manual states, "When using a DC charging station
with at least 80 kW of available
power, it will take approximately
30 minutes to recharge from a
depleted battery to an estimated
145 km (90 mi) of driving range.
This time estimate is applicable to
nominal temperature ranges. In
extreme hot or cold conditions, this
time may be lengthened. A full
charge will take additional time."

Given proper conditions (traction battery temp >75°F), the top charge speed, as set by GM, is ~56kw, and will step down after ~55% SOC to around ~37kw(100amps), and then there are further step downs in charge speed, as the battery SOC increases.
OHSwFBE.jpg

Yeah .. I guess 75kW was wishful thinking on my part .. :oops: .. But hey, the dealer did the update for free!

The confusing part is that the manual does state: "When using a DC charging station with at least 80 kW of available power .." while the car's apparently limited to ~ 56kW?

I've read more than a few posts on various EV sites that find this Bolt manual's statement confusing, unclear and contradictory.

It has also been said the 20-NA-053 DCFC 'robustness' update improves the ability of the BMS to keep battery temps optimal.
This should improve ramping, consistency, possibly even increase the highest charging limit slightly.

I'm really wondering what the report of "Incorrect Communication" means on the invoice I received from the dealer following the update?

Will know more soon.

AJ

AyeJay said:
The confusing part is that the manual mentions: "When using a DC charging station with at least 80 kW of available power" while they're limit is apparently at 56kW?

CCS 1 stations usually peak at 500 volts, so if the station is capable of 150 amp charging (the peak charging current permissible for the Bolt), that would likely label that station as a 75kw station (Why do they reference an 80kw station? See picture at bottom). Will any vehicles charge close anywhere near 75kw at said station? My guess is probably not. Why? Most EVs have a fully charged pack voltage of around 400 volts, but batteries aren't able to safely receive high levels of current at high SOC, so peak power will be reduced substantially, as voltages are lower at the lower SOC, when current is at its maximum. Even "outside the norm" EVs with higher pack voltages, like the MG ZS or the Porsche Taycan, or EVs with similar pack voltages, but higher current charging, such as the latest Hyundai/Kia products with 64kwh battery packs or the Audi eTron, won't charge much, if at all faster, than a Bolt, at a 75/80kw dc fast charger.

Owner's manuals, due to the nature of varying knowledge levels of the readers, can often be frustrating for providing either TMI or not enough, to satisfy.

All that being said, the charge rate of the Bolt EV is not what we'd like, but it is the best balance GM could COST EFFECTIVELY achieve. It was explained to my by a GM EV Team engineer, that different battery chemistries have different properties, and often, there are trade offs. In context of this particular conversion, with said engineer, I was criticizing and poking fun at how the Spark EV has had pretty significant battery degradation, but has wonderful power output and fast charge capability. He was disagreeable, yet fairly tight lipped, but pointed out that the Bolt battery pack has three times the energy, but only weighs twice as much as the Spark pack.

Sorry for the rambling, but hopefully that gave some food for thought.

xkoCdyU.png

I went back to the EA charger in Mojave and this time the larger capacity station was working: I was hitting 50-53 Kwh at the beginning. I will get the software update next dealer service and go back and see if it improves the throughput.

BoltEV said:
I went back to the EA charger in Mojave and this time the larger capacity station was working: I was hitting 50-53 Kwh at the beginning. I will get the software update next dealer service and go back and see if it improves the throughput.
I thought it only improved cold weather charging? If so, you'd have to go back in winter.

theothertom said:
BoltEV said:
I thought it only improved cold weather charging? If so, you'd have to go back in winter.
Is that information you cite from the release bulletin? I am unable to read it.

So, living in Southern California, I should not bother with the update?

BoltEV said:

Yes, it's on the service bulletin. In fact, the dealer is not supposed to do the update unless the customer complains about slow charging during cold weather.

theothertom said:
BoltEV said:

Yes, it's on the service bulletin. In fact, the dealer is not supposed to do the update unless the customer complains about slow charging during cold weather.
My radio/infotainment unit went completely dark today, so I drove over to the dealer to have them check it out.

They later claimed it came right up for them and it has worked perfectly since.

But I cajoled the dealer into giving me the fast charging update.

I stopped up at the EA DCFC 350 KW fast charger up in Mojave and it was the same 50-53 KW charging when I had about 80 miles left at the start of charging. Same as before.

Of course it was not "cold weather" up their either!

Back