hellcatjake

Re: Should I feel confident buying a used high-mileage Bolt?

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 pm

BoltEV wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:

jack

I will respectfully disagree: Miles are miles!

That is why I rarely buy a used car; the previous owner had a problem with it!

This is not always the case, as many people get rid of their cars, simply because they are tired of it and want to drive something different or the car no longer meets their needs (practicality, cargo space, mpg's...) or even afford it.

I typically buy my cars slightly used, super low mile and save tons of money letting the first owner take the hit.
I bought my 2020 Bolt new because of the current crazy discounts.

Of course higher mile older cars have a higher chance of something mechanical going on. In that case give the vehicle a thorough look over for signs of abuse, lack of maintenance, run carfax... I typically never finance longer than the vehicle is covered under warranty.
2019 Tesla 3 Performance (family/wifes) 8-)
2016 Hellcat Challenger Auto 8-Speed (fast toy) :twisted:
2020 Bolt EV (daily) :geek:

BoltEV

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:20 am

hellcatjake wrote:
BoltEV wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:I will respectfully disagree: Miles are miles!

That is why I rarely buy a used car; the previous owner had a problem with it!

This is not always the case, as many people get rid of their cars, simply because they are tired of it and want to drive something different or the car no longer meets their needs (practicality, cargo space, mpg's...) or even afford it.
Hence the previous owner had a problem with it!

I am not a good enough detective to discern which “problem” it was, hence I, like you, purchased new!

hellcatjake

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:12 pm

BoltEV wrote:
hellcatjake wrote:
BoltEV wrote:

Hence the previous owner had a problem with it!

I am not a good enough detective to discern which “problem” it was, hence I, like you, purchased new!

Hey man, whatever floats your boat. I was just stating there can be other reasons people sell their car that aren't costly or reliability issues... People can save tons of hard earned money buying pre-owned. Not everyone can afford new. :roll:
2019 Tesla 3 Performance (family/wifes) 8-)
2016 Hellcat Challenger Auto 8-Speed (fast toy) :twisted:
2020 Bolt EV (daily) :geek:

BoltEV

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:32 pm

hellcatjake wrote:I was just stating there can be other reasons people sell their car that aren't costly or reliability issues...

Common sense told us that before your post, but you continue to ignore my response: how can you discern the previous owner’s reason to sell?

And, I don’t own a boat! :lol: (or a Dodge; mine’s a Mercedes engineered 2008 Chrysler Sebring hardtop convertible)

summit

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:55 pm

there has been a few 2017 for sale around 100Kmiles, pricing around $15K. Essentially no more pack warranty.

Am very tempted. We have 2x, both almost 70Kmiles. It's the best $/range-emile out there, and with decent Thermal Management System

thoughts ?

SparkE

Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:51 pm

BoltEV wrote:
hellcatjake wrote:I was just stating there can be other reasons people sell their car that aren't costly or reliability issues...

Common sense told us that before your post, but you continue to ignore my response: how can you discern the previous owner’s reason to sell?

No, you can't KNOW why the previous owner deided to sell. But the OP didn't say he was buying from an individual - a lease return makes perfect sense as a reason to "get rid of" a car after 3 years. Something that you should know, since you did the exact same thing (returned a 2017 Bolt for a newer car). A lot of Bolts were leased and are now on the market. On the one site I looked at (cargurus.com), there are over 100 available within 150 miles of my house (3 of them under $16,000 !!).

BoltEV

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:54 pm

You certainly are argumentative, but I am not sure what the goal is here.

I stated my preference: I buy "new" cars because I do not know how the previous driver cared for his used car.

The only "used" car I ever purchased was back in the 1980s when I purchased a used 1965 Ford Mustang convertible; and the reason should be obvious!

That is why I replaced my 2017 leased Bolt EV with a new 2019 Bolt EV!

If you want to buy "used" leased cars, have at it!

SparkE

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:23 am

I was responding to YOUR question : " how can you discern the previous owner’s reason to sell? "

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”