why drive in D even on interstate?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfredsporty

so i have a crazy question. why should I use D when im on an interstate at 70 mph or so? I drive normally in L and now questioning ever shifting out of it.any feelings about this or thoughts about using D. thanks so much

I drive in 'L' 80% of the time. In stop & go city traffic or in moderate to high traffic volumes on the highway strong regen lets me adjust my speed easily without ever touching the brake pedal. I'm totally hooked on the fact that 'L' takes the car to a complete stop via 'one pedal driving' on it's own while driving in the city!

I rarely travel over 65 mph and find that using 'D' for sparse traffic conditions, on level road, is slightly more efficient when on-the-road (interstate). Of course if a steep downhill road presents itself on the interstate I will then shift to 'L' on the fly and modulate it appropriately with the accelerator/brake pedal to maintain a safe speed while taking advantage of regen.

'L' can also be engaged while the shifter is in 'D' mode by pushing the paddle on the back of the steering wheel on the left side .. I use that occasionally on the highway (interstate) also to adjust speed when merging, maneuvering in traffic .. again, modulated with the accelerator pedal. Pushing and holding the paddle will also engage one-pedal-driving during city driving while in 'D' mode but i don't really use that feature.

hope this helps ..

AJ

thanks so much. i too feel less "rolling resistance" by shifting into d at highway speeds but it does not seem to be worth it. so i still wonder if there is a reason to do it. seems a little iffy

I drive in D on the highway out of laziness. When driving in L, the pedal is very sensitive to foot movements. It gets tiring hold my foot steady for that long. I end up regen'ing when I didn't mean to, and have to accelerate back up to speed. It's just much easier to use D. Of course, when cruise control is an option, it no longer matters whether I'm using L or D. Sadly, the Bolt will regen much more aggressively in D when using cruise control than when not. I would rather allow the car to vary its speed a little than to use 50kW going up a hill only to regen at 20kW going back down the other side.

very interesting. when ive tried drive (D) it has only been for about a hlf hour or so, so foot tiring not much of a problem. it does make sense though. thank you

GetOffYourGas said:
I drive in D on the highway out of laziness. When driving in L, the pedal is very sensitive to foot movements. It gets tiring hold my foot steady for that long. I end up regen'ing when I didn't mean to, and have to accelerate back up to speed.

Bingo

TheLondonBroiler said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I drive in D on the highway out of laziness. When driving in L, the pedal is very sensitive to foot movements. It gets tiring hold my foot steady for that long. I end up regen'ing when I didn't mean to, and have to accelerate back up to speed.

Bingo
On the highway, I use "L" and Cruise Control and no foot fatigue! :)

Back