Heat On While Fast Charging?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SparkE said:
Yup. They can be useful for charging (?more than?) twice as quickly while you are off eating lunch, or connected to DCFC, or ...
I NEVER go away from my Bolt EV while DCFC charging without my iPhone.

Whether a 30 minute “top-off, or a 90 minute full recharge, I want to know immediately if something has caused the charging process to stop, so I can quickly restart it (in some cases remotely using the EVGo app, etc.).

BoltEV said:
SparkE said:
If one wishes (needs)more current than the USB ports in the car can provide, buy a 'cigarette lighter' <-> USB charger plug that supplies 3 (or more) amps. There are many to choose from. I have had this one in my cars for years (dual USB, 2.4A each, 4.8A total)
How many amps does do the in-board USB supply?

I previously considered your suggestion; but I must use the in-board USB port to a wired cable in order for Apple CarPlay to function, so I can use both the SiriusXM and Waze apps.

I was thinking about a “Y” cable to an external USB battery pack, when I came across the refurbished Moophie battery case for $10.
The state of USB standards prior to Type-C power delivery is that almost nothing supported what was described as a "Charging Downstream Port" in the battery charging specifications. Prior to Type-C, only a CDP could transfer more than 500 mA (900 for USB 3) and data at the same time.

99% of ports and devices out there only are/support SDP (Standard Downstream Port, 500 mils with data) and DCP (Dedicated Charging Port, over 2A but no data).

I have phones with a Type C connector, so a PD supply like my Nekteck is a no-brainer. I do have concerns about Android Auto, although so far in my parents Forester, having the screen off seems to keep the power budget in check. Type-C power delivery injectors (e.g. can convert a Type A port into a Type-C port with PD) are incredibly rare at the moment.

We are looking for 100 owners of a Chevy Bolt to participate in a 2 minute survey for a $5 Amazon gift card. If you are interested, please click the link below. At the end of the survey you’ll be asked for your email address so we can send your gift card. The survey is being conducted by Corus, a market research firm.

https://cor.us/surveys/DC4E17

SeanNelson said:
xflow7 said:
Is there a way to have the cabin heat run while fast charging?
You can charge, start charging, or end charging with the car turned on.

Ha, edging off topic here, but twice on my last road trip EA phone reps absolutely instructed me to "turn the car off and shut the door" before starting charging :roll:

We know that is completely false, but it seems that some EA call center reps may not be familiar with the cars they're advising on.

I am not surprised that EA reps don't know the charging specifics of every model of EV that might use their facilities.

Back