theothertom

Re: Charging at Electrify America

Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:10 am

ElDobro wrote:They are also updating the stations that did work to faster charging ones.

Are you sure about that? I think the charging rate is the same as the old ones, but hopefully the new ones actually work.

JamesG

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Here in NC and Virginia, they have shutdown virtually all their stations. On PlugShare they have posted messages saying they are “upgrading the site to improve performance “. Any idea what the heck they are doing. Nice they did it right before Labor Day as in many cases they were the only option within hundreds of miles.

[I drive a 2020 Chevy Bolt]

I got burned in Asheville NC Sat 9/5 at the Sams Club on the north side. I checked all the usual apps before arrival into town (including EAs own) and saw nothing about EA being down at the site. Arriving with a very low SOC, the EA chargers were blocked off and crews were actively installing updated pedestals (none of which were available for charging).

I managed to get a charge from EVgo at the Biltmore mall on the south side.

The rest of my EA experiences on my 2400 mile road trip (10 EA total) were ok, once I realized how you MUST start the chargers (any deviation from this exactly would fail for me until I learned the process)

SIGN UP for a membership. Pay the $4/mo. In my case it was way worth it to save money and hassle.

Make sure the port is shown as working on the display

Plug in first, hold the plug by pulling up firmly so you maintain full contact with your vehicle port

Have your app ready to swipe with your other hand

WAIT TO SWIPE on the app until the credit card screen comes up on the pedestal screen

THEN swipe. If you swipe too early, it will fail.

Each time I would call, EA reps would tell me to "swipe within a couple seconds of plugging in", while the "initiating" box was showing on the pedestal and app. That guarantees a fail, temporarily rendering that port/cable unusable until it times out.

Now that I have the EA dance down, I'm good.

A separate post will be forthcoming with stats about my 2400 mile trip on labor day weekend.

ElDobro

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:15 pm

theothertom wrote:
ElDobro wrote:They are also updating the stations that did work to faster charging ones.

Are you sure about that? I think the charging rate is the same as the old ones, but hopefully the new ones actually work.

Here you go, it's under checkins.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/172095

theothertom

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:01 pm

ElDobro wrote:
theothertom wrote:

Here you go, it's under checkins.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/172095

Thanks for the link. EA throttled back some chargers from 150 to 50. It looks like they are trying to fix that. They were always supposed to be 150, so in that sense it's not a change. But in the sense of it actually working at 150 it is a (welcome) change.

SparkE

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Electrify America sent me an email : "You asked for it and now it's here! Learn all about our new pricing." Their email talks about how wonderful it is that their pricing (in states where allowed) are moving to per- kWh pricing, instead of per-minute.

Also, "in a state not making the switch to per-kWh pricing, we’ve made paying for charging simpler as well. In these states, where charging is still priced on a per-minute basis, we are simplifying it to two power levels (and reducing these per-minute prices across the board) and eliminating the $1 session fee. "

Ummm, I just checked a few sites in Calif, and the prices have gone up for Bolt drivers, to $0.43/kWh. Considering that the "subscription" (Pass+) price before was $0.18/min, that is a significant increase. If you were charging below 50% SoC, you were paying about $0.20/kWh. If you were charging between 55-70% SoC, you were paying a bit under $0.30/kWh.

Not a great change, IMHO.

SparkE

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 pm

Great for VW-conglomerate vehicles which charge at over 100 kW rate, however ....

ElectricAdventure

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:15 am

I just checked the Salt Lake Sam's Club Electrify America Supercharger and the one in Green River, UT on plugshare. Both are by the minute still which is a godsend for eSparks and Bolt EVs.
Imna stick with free Chargepoint superchargers though (Price CP instead of Green River EA for instance).
That was actually a really hard part about the Bolt for me. My first car was the eSpark so charging was almost always under $5 but now the Bolt costs over $10 to fill sometimes which is really hard for me to swallow. A trip to Logan UT from Santaquin could be free if I used 25kW units but if I paid it cost $6 in a Spark. Now it will cost me $8 / $10 in a Bolt. I assume it is better than paying for gas though~

theothertom

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:56 pm

ElectricAdventure wrote:I just checked the Salt Lake Sam's Club Electrify America Supercharger and the one in Green River, UT on plugshare. Both are by the minute still which is a godsend for eSparks and Bolt EVs.
Imna stick with free Chargepoint superchargers though (Price CP instead of Green River EA for instance).
That was actually a really hard part about the Bolt for me. My first car was the eSpark so charging was almost always under $5 but now the Bolt costs over $10 to fill sometimes which is really hard for me to swallow. A trip to Logan UT from Santaquin could be free if I used 25kW units but if I paid it cost $6 in a Spark. Now it will cost me $8 / $10 in a Bolt. I assume it is better than paying for gas though~

Much better than paying for gas and don't forget the cost savings on maintenance (no oil changes, etc). Plus you're not polluting as much....

ElectricAdventure

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:58 am

theothertom wrote:
ElectricAdventure wrote:I just checked the Salt Lake Sam's Club Electrify America Supercharger and the one in Green River, UT on plugshare. Both are by the minute still which is a godsend for eSparks and Bolt EVs.

Much better than paying for gas and don't forget the cost savings on maintenance (no oil changes, etc). Plus you're not polluting as much....

The not-polluting part is really the only part I care about with regards to an electric car. Not spending money out the ear in gas is just a side effect I guess.
I've never owned a gasoline (combustion) powered car before so I don't really think about all those things. But I really want a Gasoline powered WRX- those things are so cool!

theothertom

Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:15 pm

ElectricAdventure wrote:The not-polluting part is really the only part I care about with regards to an electric car. Not spending money out the ear in gas is just a side effect I guess.
I've never owned a gasoline (combustion) powered car before so I don't really think about all those things. But I really want a Gasoline powered WRX- those things are so cool!

wow! You must be considerable younger than me. Wouldn't it be cool to be one of the first to never own an ICE in your lifetime?

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”