Just bought a new 2021 Bolt and the AC doesn't work

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinky2k6

I love this car so much, but I just found out the AC doesn't work at all.

I tried all manner of configurations, but no cool air comes out. I can hear from the vents a gentle 'woosh' sound that i'm guessing is the compressor, but nada.

has anyone had this issue? Before I take it to the dealer, perhaps people with ownership have experience with it?

With respect - its likely user error.

I don't know if the controls are different in the 21, but make sure you set the desired temperature to be lower than the outside temperature, and lower than the temp inside the car - to be safe set it to the lowest setting available.

Next, turn up the fan to high speed using the fan speed button.

Finally, turn on HEAT and AC power, otherwise its just in fan mode - on my car that's at the bottom of the the touchscreen toward the center. I'll bet that's the step you are missing.

You can set the temp and put the hvac into Auto, but if the power to the heater and AC is off then it tries to maintain that temp by controlling the flaps in the air box and running the fans only. Because its electric, it lets you save power this way because both Heat and AC can use a fair amount of juice.

I don't think your problem is auto defog, but in general you should set it to "off". It's buried in the settings somewhere and will cause your heat or A/C to come on when you least expect it if you leave it in the on position.

Tttait said:

I don't know if the controls are different in the 21, but make sure you set the desired temperature to be lower than the outside temperature, and lower than the temp inside the car - to be safe set it to the lowest setting available.

Finally, turn on HEAT and AC power, otherwise its just in fan mode - on my car that's at the bottom of the the touchscreen toward the center. I'll bet that's the step you are missing.

You can set the temp and put the hvac into Auto, but if the power to the heater and AC is off then it tries to maintain that temp by controlling the flaps in the air box and running the fans only. Because its electric, it lets you save power this way because both Heat and AC can use a fair amount of juice.

Thank you!

I will try this when I get a chance. It's totally unintuitive to active both heat and ac at the same time if I wanted AC only, but this is indeed a configuration i haven't tried yet.

I will post results later!

theothertom said:
I don't think your problem is auto defog, but in general you should set it to "off". It's buried in the settings somewhere and will cause your heat or A/C to come on when you least expect it if you leave it in the on position.

I totally disabled this when I got the car. It didn't sit right with me to have this option on if it's just going to drain the battery in the long run.

Thank you!

I get that its a tricky proposition in the age of automatic climate control for Chevy, They want to be able to disable the higher electric draw of heat and AC , but do you do it with one master switch or two? It bothered me a lot more when the car was new, but after a while I tend to just leave the power to the systems on and adjust the temp with temp if I need to. Whatever works for you, you'll likely adapt quickly to a workable "new normal" quickly and never think of it again.

blinky2k6 said:
Tttait said:

Thank you!

I will try this when I get a chance. It's totally unintuitive to active both heat and ac at the same time if I wanted AC only, but this is indeed a configuration i haven't tried yet.

I will post results later!

No dice

Tttait said:
I get that its a tricky proposition in the age of automatic climate control for Chevy, They want to be able to disable the higher electric draw of heat and AC , but do you do it with one master switch or two? It bothered me a lot more when the car was new, but after a while I tend to just leave the power to the systems on and adjust the temp with temp if I need to. Whatever works for you, you'll likely adapt quickly to a workable "new normal" quickly and never think of it again.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree. If I got any cooled air from the vents at all, fine cool. But the fact that I don't makes me worried a deeper problem is present. And on a new car, it's really frazzles me.

Just bought a new 2021 Bolt LT. Fortunately, all seems well with the car. Think I will enjoy the little beast. Near Dallas, TX

Back