How Do I Easily Find Charging Locations?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael1

I think "where to charge when needed" is a major factor for ICE people moving to EV. The Bolt has great range, but there will be times when you realize you need just a bit more charge to get home. DC fast charge would fit the bill here. 15 minutes with 40 more miles could do the job in a lot of cases. Doesn't sound too bad, unless you have to spend an inordinate amount of time hunting around for chargers. One Leaf owner said his solution was not taking his car outside the range of his home charger.

I went on Plug Share, and while you can set some filters, there are still notes you have to read for every charging station. Many say, "For hotel guests only", or "Only open between xxx and xxx", "I went there and it is broken". This is tediously slow and inefficient. Definitely not something I want to do when trying to get home late at night. In 2016, there has to be a better way.

For all you EV veterans, how do we do this?

Michael

You use a smartphone app (or 'pad' app, or computer app/site) that has real-time availability information, of course!

ChargePoint is one of the largest networks (they say "world-side", but definitely in the US). Their app has real-time info on what charge spots are in use and which are available. Download their app and look. Also, their charge card is free (NRG makes you pay for one).

What I use PlugShare for it to locate charging spots - I *know* where the EVSEs are around me, and around where I generally go. It is also very useful to find out which 'networks' are the most common in my area (or where I will be travelling). For me, the most common networks are ChargePoint, NRG EVgo, Blink, and SemaCharge. Then I can 'subscribe' to the largest networks in my area. I can then use the smart app of that network to check out status while I am out and about, to know where to go if I need a charge.

But honestly, I rarely 'need a charge'. I charge at home almost all of the time. Charging while I am out is *generally* not needed for me (although I will do it to keep my battery over 50%). I *will* charge up when exceeding my range (such as when driving up to San Francisco), generally at DCFC spots.

SparkE said:
But honestly, I rarely 'need a charge'. I charge at home almost all of the time. Charging while I am out is *generally* not needed for me (although I will do it to keep my battery over 50%). I *will* charge up when exceeding my range (such as when driving up to San Francisco), generally at DCFC spots.
Yep--this is definitely one of the common misperceptions of new EV owners. I put 16000 miles on my Spark EV and have only charged away from home a handful of times, most of those were to see how it actually worked, not due to necessity. With the Bolt EV, it's like you're leaving your house every day with half a tank, which is sufficient for the typical day.

When far away from home, the Plugshare app is critical.

Also, I believe GM will update the Bolt EV with Nav software that will assist in finding charging stations. (hopefully it filters out CHAdeMO chargers.)

I was looking at the PlugShare map for the Los Angeles area filtered for CSS, and there are very few DC fast charging stations. Most of them are at BMW and Kia car dealerships, with limited hours. I have a couple of customers at 185 and 210 miles round trip. That's cutting it very tight, because it is all freeway speeds, where the Bolt gets reduced range.

Michael

Michael1 said:
I was looking at the PlugShare map for the Los Angeles area filtered for CSS, and there are very few DC fast charging stations. Most of them are at BMW and Kia car dealerships, with limited hours. I have a couple of customers at 185 and 210 miles round trip. That's cutting it very tight, because it is all freeway speeds, where the Bolt gets reduced range.

Michael
Check your PlugShare filter settings. I see quite a few CCS DC chargers around most of the LA area and few of them are car dealerships.

Here is a map showing 97 locations:

image.jpeg

Wow! I just checked my filters. I have only CSS DCFC checked, along with all networks. I only show 13. Is there something else that I should check for DCFS?

BTW, how did you paste in your map image?

Michael

Michael1 said:
Wow! I just checked my filters. I have only CSS DCFC checked, along with all networks. I only show 13. Is there something else that I should check for DCFS?

BTW, how did you paste in your map image?

Michael
I'm going to guess that your filters are set to show only free charging stations ("Requires fee" is set off). If I do that I see only 13 stations instead of nearly 100.

You can add an image to a post either by using the "URL" formatting choice above the text entry box to point at an existing image on the web or you can click on the "Attachments" tab below the text entry area and that will let you upload an image and then you position the text entry cursor and click on "inline" in the attachments tab.

Sadly, the "inline" button does not properly render on my iPhone so I have to use my iPad or an iMac/PC browser to actually add attachments.

That was it. I needed to check "Payment required".

Thanks for the tip on uploading images.

BTW, how much do the charging stations general charge?

Michael

Just for fun...

Here is a Google map overlay created by someone else that shows all of the highway corridor DC quick chargers that have been funded by the California Energy Commission. These station locations should all be installed within the next 2-3 years and some already exist from earlier funding. This map does not show another 50 stations being installed by March, 2017 from Monterey to Lake Tahoe that are being funded through another initiative described at drivethearc.com.

Nor does this map show the expected high-powered DC stations that will likely be installed across California and the rest of the US by Volkswagen under its dieselgate settlement with CARB and the EPA.

My California Bolt EV is definitely not going to be limited to being a "city car".

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1VEJLK0-wcAhWV8Q0MirTLULd5mg&ll=34.69568825600552%2C-119.11231046875002&z=7

image.jpeg

Drivethearc.com stations:

image.jpeg

Michael1 said:
BTW, how much do the charging stations general charge?
These stations are being installed by a few different charging providers so the pricing policy varies and you need to check the details carefully. Many of the DC chargers are managed by EVgo and they have standard pricing plans based on per-use or subscriptions. Others are installed by ChargePoint and may have different fees specific to each location. Other providers are participating as well and have their own quirks.

That's great! I hope they get more chargers on Hwy 5 from LA to SF. It looks sparse other than the Tesla Superchargers. I see a few on the 15 from LA to Vegas, but could use a few more there, too. Those are main travel corridors, and would get used a lot.

Michael

Here are specific DCFC stations slated to be built on I-5N from LA to San Francisco:

Castaic
31785 The Old Road Castaic, California 91384
Lebec
9000 Countryside Court Lebec, California 93243
Buttonwillow
20662 Tracy Avenue Buttonwillow, California 93206
Harris Ranch
24505 West Dorris Avenue Coalinga, California 93210
Gustine
12754 California 33 Gustine, California 95322

and from I-15N from LA to Las Vegas:
Barstow Station
1611 E Main St. Barstow, CA 92311
Yermo Express Gas
40873 Sunrise Canyon Rd. Yermo, CA 92398
Grewal Travel Center
72363 Baker Boulevard, Baker, CA 92309
Nipton Shell/Cima Mining Company
65845 Cima Road, Nipton, CA 92364

Great! Thanks for the list. It looks like those routes are filling in, and making EV travel a reality. Those two highways get lots of use.

Michael

Zoomit said:
Here are specific DCFC stations slated to be built on I-5N from LA to San Francisco:

Castaic
31785 The Old Road Castaic, California 91384
Lebec
9000 Countryside Court Lebec, California 93243
Buttonwillow
20662 Tracy Avenue Buttonwillow, California 93206
Harris Ranch
24505 West Dorris Avenue Coalinga, California 93210
Gustine
12754 California 33 Gustine, California 95322

and from I-15N from LA to Las Vegas:
Barstow Station
1611 E Main St. Barstow, CA 92311
Yermo Express Gas
40873 Sunrise Canyon Rd. Yermo, CA 92398
Grewal Travel Center
72363 Baker Boulevard, Baker, CA 92309
Nipton Shell/Cima Mining Company
65845 Cima Road, Nipton, CA 92364

Question for those from the area (or those travelling through there) :

So, out of curiosity, have any of the above DCFCs gone operational yet? Has ground even broken for any of them yet?

To my knowledge, none of these have started construction. There is an EVgo charger in Baker under construction, but that is separate from these CA grants.

Back