Bolt EV full website is live!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fromport said:
devbolt said:
There are people who have made a business of modifying the original 120V EVSEs that come with a lot of EVs like the Volt/Leaf/Plug-in Prius/etc to work on both 120V as well as 240V. This requires opening the unit up and re-wiring parts of it to accommodate the higher voltage and amperage that is necessary. Not all EVSEs can be safely upgraded. Some can only be increased from the base rate of 1.44 kW to 2.288 kW (12A), while others could be increased all the way up to 3.8 kW (16A @240V). None of the units can be increased beyond 16A/3.84 kW.

Edited to note that certain 2013 to 2014 Nissan Leaf EVSEs could be upgraded to 20A @240V, but the majority are all 16A units.

But they are not really J1772 compatible.
EG: It doesn't work on a tesla charger (tesla/toyota rav4ev/mercedes EV)
They're all J1772 compliant/compatible. Tesla does have their own proprietary connector that they use, but the signaling is the same, which is why Tesla includes an adapter so that Tesla's can use public L2 chargers. I don't believe there is an adapter that lets non-Tesla's use a Tesla wall charger.

Tesla is the one who kinda went their own way

devbolt said:
They're all J1772 compliant/compatible. Tesla does have their own proprietary connector that they use, but the signaling is the same, which is why Tesla includes an adapter so that Tesla's can use public L2 chargers.
I don't believe there is an adapter that lets non-Tesla's use a Tesla wall charger.
Tony is working on an adapter:
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapterQuickChargePowercom-Jdapter.htm

I am telling you:
If you take the nissan leaf trickle charger EVSE (120 volt/12 amps 2011-2012 model is what I tested) and you plug the J1772 in a rav4ev, it won't charge/work.
Not compatible.

fromport said:
devbolt said:
They're all J1772 compliant/compatible. Tesla does have their own proprietary connector that they use, but the signaling is the same, which is why Tesla includes an adapter so that Tesla's can use public L2 chargers.
I don't believe there is an adapter that lets non-Tesla's use a Tesla wall charger.
Tony is working on an adapter:
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapterQuickChargePowercom-Jdapter.htm
Sweet! I was wondering when someone would come up with something like that.

fromport said:
devbolt said:

I am telling you:
If you take the nissan leaf trickle charger EVSE (120 volt/12 amps 2011-2012 model is what I tested) and you plug the J1772 in a rav4ev, it won't charge/work.
Not compatible.
Was this a 240V converted unit, or just the standard 120V unit? Try a newer unit in either case. The early ones (2011-2012) were known to have compatibility issues with other manufacturers' EVs. Something to do with the pilot signal not being quite right in the early Nissan EVSE units. Early Volts had the same issue as well. A software fix to the Volt fixed the problem. The EVSE upgrade guys also figured out a fix on the EVSE side that allowed the same early Nissan EVSEs to work with Volts that didn't have the software fix. I would imagine the same fix would work on the RAV4-EV.

devbolt said:
Sweet! I was wondering when someone would come up with something like that.

Was this a 240V converted unit, or just the standard 120V unit?
just the standard one provided with the leaf
Try a newer unit in either case. The early ones (2011-2012) were known to have compatibility issues with other manufacturers' EVs. Something to do with the pilot signal not being quite right in the early Nissan EVSE units. Early Volts had the same issue as well. A software fix to the Volt fixed the problem. The EVSE upgrade guys also figured out a fix on the EVSE side that allowed the same early Nissan EVSEs to work with Volts that didn't have the software fix. I would imagine the same fix would work on the RAV4-EV.
Probably.
I am still happy with my portable openevse.
Haven't met an EV it didn't like ;-)

Back