sbaker

Re: Adding DC fast charge after purchase?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:28 pm

[quote][quote="phil0909"]What's your use case? Just curious.

Driving to and from Orange County from San Diego. I visit some family friends about once every month, and they live about 100 miles away. On paper, getting there and back without charging along the way shouldn't be an issue, but that assumes that I can maintain 4 mi/kWh the whole way. I'm finding that freeway driving might make that a bit optimistic. I can charge at their house, but the included EVSE only adds 4 miles / hour of charging - so that may or may not be helpful, depending on how long we visit.

Ultimately, upgrading the included EVSE for 220V is probably my best bet - my pal has 220V outlets in his garage, and adding 8 miles / hour of charging would probably be enough.

kicoken

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:36 pm

sbaker wrote:** If you can, at most, add 90 miles of range in 30 minutes (as Chevy claims), then it would take 1 hour & 20 minutes to go from empty to full charge. This assumes that charging wouldn't slow down as the battery fills up, which isn't what happens, so in reality it'd take longer to get to a full charge, but let's ignore that for simplicity. So if you were driving at a steady 60 MPH, it'd take you 4 hours to empty the battery (again, optimistic assumptions on efficiency at highway speeds apply) and another 1.33 hours to fill back up - not very appealing.

Full charge on a DCFC will be over two hours. I hit 87% SoC in 90 minutes and at that point was adding around 2% per every 5 minutes (16kW charge rate) and I would imagine there would be another taper coming before it hit 100%. I was not willing to sit on the charger for another hour to find out.

michael

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:07 pm

sbaker wrote:
phil0909 wrote:What's your use case? Just curious.

Driving to and from Orange County from San Diego. I visit some family friends about once every month, and they live about 100 miles away. On paper, getting there and back without charging along the way shouldn't be an issue, but that assumes that I can maintain 4 mi/kWh the whole way. I'm finding that freeway driving might make that a bit optimistic. I can charge at their house, but the included EVSE only adds 4 miles / hour of charging - so that may or may not be helpful, depending on how long we visit.

Ultimately, upgrading the included EVSE for 220V is probably my best bet - my pal has 220V outlets in his garage, and adding 8 miles / hour of charging would probably be enough.

I installed a 6 kW EVSE at a friend's house on the other side of the city, it became my private satellite charging station. Later on she bought her own EV and uses it too. It gets 15-20 miles per hour while I'm visiting, much better even than stopping at a DCFC enroute.
2013 Ford Focus Electric 51000 miles in 34 months, returned
2014 Volt, returned
2014 Volt, returned,

2017 Volt
2017 Volt
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327

GetOffYourGas

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:00 pm

michael wrote:
I installed a 6 kW EVSE at a friend's house on the other side of the city, it became my private satellite charging station. Later on she bought her own EV and uses it too. It gets 15-20 miles per hour while I'm visiting, much better even than stopping at a DCFC enroute.

Sounds like a sweet deal for both of you! Win-win!
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier
2021 Mini Cooper SE Signature+

Nagorak

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:48 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
My 2013 LEAF with QC had a MSRP of $28,000 I believe when I leased it. After my two-year lease was up, they offered it to me for $8000!!!

Ironically, if Nissan hadn't been so slow to budge on the high residuals in 2013 (looking at you now, GM!) they could have sold a lot more of them to lessees for more than $10, and seen a lot fewer of them auction for much less than that.

True, but they made a lot of us second hand buyers very happy! :D

Nagorak

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:52 am

sbaker wrote:

We have level 2 chargers down here in San Diego too. Just hooking up to one of those for a couple hours for a top off might be enough if it looks like you're going to come up short.

SeanNelson

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:33 pm

sbaker wrote:
phil0909 wrote:Ultimately, upgrading the included EVSE for 220V is probably my best bet - my pal has 220V outlets in his garage, and adding 8 miles / hour of charging would probably be enough.

The EVSE that comes with the Bolt is, as I understand it, the same one that comes with the Gen2 Volt, and that EVSE can run on either 120V or 240V by autosensing the line voltage. You just have to make an adapter that will allow its 120V plug to be plugged into a 240V socket (and be sure not to use that adapter for anything else!!!)

Peter1984

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Here is a stupid question. Can a non-fast charge Chevy Bolt use the css charger for just level 2 charging?

theothertom

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:50 pm

Peter1984 wrote:Here is a stupid question. Can a non-fast charge Chevy Bolt use the css charger for just level 2 charging?

If you mean the CCS charger, no it can't

BoltEV

Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:19 am

Peter1984 wrote:Here is a stupid question. Can a non-fast charge Chevy Bolt use the css charger for just level 2 charging?

If you do not have the capacity to use CSS DCFC charging in your Chevy Bolt EV, then invest the in adapter that allows you to use the Level 2 Tesla chargers that many hotels/motels installed over the years. It expands your Level 2 charging availability exponentially:

https://ev-lectron.com/products/lectron-tesla-to-j1772-adapter-white?variant=31881673834542&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiAsaOBBhA4EiwAo0_AnJBViR0h2t-Z4X-EaKHitaoWY-eRMabeoBPHwiQURGMr5QCd_NVSJxoCy4QQAvD_BwE

Return to “Technical Discussions”