JupiterMoon

Re: This reviewer was clearly smoking something

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:06 pm

ScooterCT wrote:I've seen Alex on Autos. Agree he does a great review. Isn't he Canadian? Aren't Canadians always honest and boring? I sometimes think all the "be nice" karma somehow leaked through a semipermeable membrane from the USA to Canada. And all the "be mean" karma leaked the other way.

I'll bet I'm going to regret writing that...

I don't think he's Canadian. He test drives his cars here I believe but not sure. I won't comment on high nice or not nice Canadians are but my own experience has been they are perhaps the most passive aggressive people I've ever met this side of the UK.

bro19991

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:07 am

Electrek is extremely pro-Tesla and in particular have published many anti-GM/Bolt "articles", so for them to post an article saying the Bolt is the best car you can buy for less than $40k speaks volumes as to how I impressive the Bolt was to them.

Posatronic

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:26 am

Best car for the 70% of people driving 12-15k ahhh maybe.
I have I bigger issue....it's ROFL.
Not a big issue but it bothers me as much as you have a problem with the review.
2017 Bolt EV
2008 Prius
1991 Lumina Euro sport
1992 Saturn SL2
2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT
1997 Mazda Miata
1988 Olds Calais
1977 Plymouth Valera (drive not own)
1985 Silverado (drive not own)
1967 Mustang (drive not own)

oilerlord

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:36 am

Scoot, there are a lot of over-the-top / overly positive car reviews on the Internet. This one is no different. Why? It's spelled out in the first paragraph of the article:

"Note: The lovely folks at Chevy paid for our travel, hotel and fed us quite nicely."

If you want to get invited back to the GM buffet, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Period. Unfortunately for some, the going price for their integrity is about the same as a continental breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

Nagorak

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Having done it, I can tell you that driving cross country is pretty crappy in just about any car, so in reality it's probably something that many people will never do. In that case the Bolt could very well be the best car for some people.

Driving cross country does give you a better sense of how far this country is though.

oilerlord

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Nagorak wrote:Having done it, I can tell you that driving cross country is pretty crappy in just about any car, so in reality it's probably something that many people will never do.

To the contrary, I highly recommend it. A lot of us tend to miss a lot of the country strapped in at 40,000 feet.

I wouldn't even consider making a cross country trip in my B250e (or a Bolt for that matter), but my "other" car makes our annual 4000 mile round-trip to Arizona a pleasure. It was made for highway miles. Utah to Vegas to Phoenix, at 75 MPH, on one 5-minute, $38 fill up, with plenty of fuel to spare. Every time I see an EV range discussion, I smile and think of my other car.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

WetEV

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:18 pm

oilerlord wrote:To the contrary, I highly recommend it. A lot of us tend to miss a lot of the country strapped in at 40,000 feet.

Slower and in some ways nicer, try Amtrak. Not as many trips destinations, car renting isn't always reasonable, not always for those in a hurry.

When I was traveling between Portland OR and Seattle WA, I found that Amtrak was usually faster than driving while I5 was under construction. I'm not sure if it still would be faster, however, Amtrak is nicer than driving. I could get out of my seat and get a coffee or a snack, and I would often work.
#49 on the LEAF 100 mile club.
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red
2014 Leaf SL Red
Can't sit in a Bolt seat, hoping for better soon.
Or perhaps a Buick version? Buick Electra 225???

michael

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

oilerlord wrote:
Nagorak wrote:Having done it, I can tell you that driving cross country is pretty crappy in just about any car, so in reality it's probably something that many people will never do.

To the contrary, I highly recommend it. A lot of us tend to miss a lot of the country strapped in at 40,000 feet.

I wouldn't even consider making a cross country trip in my B250e (or a Bolt for that matter), but my "other" car makes our annual 4000 mile round-trip to Arizona a pleasure. It was made for highway miles. Utah to Vegas to Phoenix, at 75 MPH, on one 5-minute, $38 fill up, with plenty of fuel to spare. Every time I see an EV range discussion, I smile and think of my other car.

I agree. The Bolt is great but when I expect to exceed its range I will take my Volt instead
2013 Ford Focus Electric 51000 miles in 34 months, returned
2014 Volt, returned
2014 Volt, returned,

2017 Volt
2017 Volt
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327

SeanNelson

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 pm

What, you've never heard of a "road trip"? The secret is to make the drive itself the purpose, not the destination. When you do it with that mindset a whole new world opens up. A few months ago I spent 7 weeks driving from the Pacific Northwest to Florida and back, and I don't regret it in the slightest.

ArthurL

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 pm

For my money, it suits all my wants and needs. Most of all it's friggin fun.

That aside .... on cross country. Do a google of Bolt Across Canada. Begins 1July...Canada day. Live blogging. Should be educational no matter their view point on the money.

Return to “Chevrolet Bolt Reviews”