SparkE

Re: Hello from ChargePoint!

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:16 pm

BTW, there are already several DCFC stations in and near Austin - some of which are free. Use plugshare.com to find them.

ChargePoint

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:08 am

SparkE wrote:
ibedonc wrote:what about Austin Texas ? for fast chargers

The DCFC stations going in along I5 in California are being "incentivized" by a CA govt org called CEC. I don't know if they are paying the entire cost or not, but well over a 8 million dollars is being paid out. The CEC selected the sites, which you can find here (interactive google map):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 999997&z=7

What I found surprising is that *somebody* is keeping the map up-to-date, and the new(-ish) EVgo stations to get to N lake Tahoe and Reno have been added to the map, as well as the new "30-30" category (which is CalTrans, the govt org that maintains state highways, and separate from CEC).

Great resource, thank you for sharing that!
ChargePoint is the world’s largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network. Join the EV revolution!

ChargePoint

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:09 am

ibedonc wrote:what about Austin Texas ? for fast chargers

In addition to Sparks suggestions, you can also request stations on our website: https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/request/ :)
ChargePoint is the world’s largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network. Join the EV revolution!

ChargePoint

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Things have changed a lot since 2010. ChargePoint now has more than 50,000 charging spots. EV drivers plug into our network every 2 seconds and charge more than 1 million times per month. We’re excited to be fueling the future!

gpsman

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:56 pm

ChargePoint-

Why oh why are you ENCOURAGING Tesla owners to use ChargePoint stations in the latest EV Driver News newsletter?!?!?¿¿¿

Yes it’s a free country.
Yes many (most) ChargePoint stations are open to the general public.
Yes Tesla owners are “allowed” to use ChargePoint.

However, this SHOULD NOT BE ENCOURAGED!
This should be for emergency use only.

Tesla has their own dedicated charging network and they are greedy. They don’t share with the rest of us. We don’t want Tesla cars clogging up the public network. We are excluded from the Tesla network.

I’m downgrading my opinion of ChargePoint.

GetOffYourGas

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:46 pm

gpsman wrote:ChargePoint-

Why oh why are you ENCOURAGING Tesla owners to use ChargePoint stations in the latest EV Driver News newsletter?!?!?¿¿¿

Maybe because ChargePoint is a for-profit company? On any stations from which they earn revenue, of course they are going to encourage as many customers as possible. Common sense here.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

gpsman

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:24 pm

They only sell the hardware. Not the power or parking fees.

GetOffYourGas wrote:

Maybe because ChargePoint is a for-profit company? On any stations from which they earn revenue, of course they are going to encourage as many customers as possible. Common sense here.

GetOffYourGas

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:38 pm

gpsman wrote:They only sell the hardware. Not the power or parking fees.

GetOffYourGas wrote:

They sell more than hardware. ChargePoint runs the networking and billing of the stations as well. I don't work there, so I don't know for sure, but I suspect they take a cut from each transaction that occurs.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Pigwich

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:44 am

Changing the topic from a Tesla rant, and speaking of profit, can I hook an OCPP-enabled charger that we already own at work up to Chargepoint? What are the fees? Greenlots and EVConnect will let us, but what about Chargepoint?

ChargePoint

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:18 am

Pigwich wrote:Changing the topic from a Tesla rant, and speaking of profit, can I hook an OCPP-enabled charger that we already own at work up to Chargepoint? What are the fees? Greenlots and EVConnect will let us, but what about Chargepoint?

Great question! Our network supports OCPP communication, we are looking to certify different stations on our network. Stay tuned for updates, and because this can vary depending on your setup, give our station owners support line a call at 1-877-850-4562
(Mon – Fri, 5 AM PT – 6 PM PT)

Return to “Batteries and Charging”