portable

Re: Ridiculous Process to Replace Key Fob

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:52 pm

https://www.chevroletonlineparts.com/oe ... r-13508767
https://www.chevroletonlineparts.com/oe ... NCZyPTU%3D

I laid my spare key fob on top of my car(Dumb Move) while rummaging through my glove box. later i took off driving with my normal key in my pocket. Good by "Key Fob" on the roof. I got a new fob from the attached website and i programed the fobs myself using the instructions in the manual. I think they made it a long enduring process so you don't have car thieves just coming up and re-programming fobs to steal cars. One thing to note is , once you start the process "Don't open the door" . I did and had to start all over . it took me twice as long then normal. I asked the "Parts department" to cut the key portion of the fob when i was in for the infotainment update. They did it for No charge (from my Vin #) since i was a customer.

dandrewk

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:46 pm

I wonder if 3rd party knockoff fobs will work for the Bolt. They tend to be a lot cheaper.

tinasach

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Do you have to have a key to program the new key following the instructions? Both keys are lost. Chevy says they need a key to program the new one? At Chevy dealership why do you have to wait an hour and pay $500 for a new key to be programmed if you can buy for $85 and program yourself? Not good customer service!

boltage

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 am

tinasach wrote:Do you have to have a key to program the new key following the instructions? Both keys are lost.

It says that you need two recognized fobs, presumably to prevent a valet or someone borrowing the car from adding another fob too easily.

tomofNV

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:51 pm

So do you need two programmed key fobs to program another or just one? Trying to decide whether to try just one or do the other, longer, procedure that requires no programmed key. Sure missing the days of going to Home Depot and having a spare key cut for $5.00.

tomofNV

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I'll answer my question since no one else did. Yes, you do need two programmed keys unless you use the alternate procedure described in the manual which reprograms the new key plus an existing already programmed key. I used the latter. The new key was $80.00 from an on line supplier, plus another $27 to grind the pattern into the sides of the mechanical key (which you remove from the fob by pushing the button on its side and pulling on the top end). You need it ground so that if you loose the original key you can use the new one to program another new key, since you need to insert the mechanical key into the door lock to do so.

like2bike

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:43 am

I knew about programming the new fob yourself by reading the manual while waiting for the car to be delivered. One of the fobs for my LEAF is dead and Nissan's new fob cost about the same and there is no programming it yourself. I am living with one working fob and was assured by my dealer's LEAF mechanic that it wouldn't cost any more to get a replacement if the second one was gone.
2019 Chevy Bolt LT w/ FC & DC II
2013 Nissan LEAF S w/ QC
2014 Toyota Prius v/5
Schneider EVlink L2 charging
EV driver since March 2013

Return to “Technical Discussions”