GetOffYourGas

Re: First Use of JDapter Stub for Tesla Destination Charger to Chevy Bolt

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 pm

grbadave wrote:What about an affordable adaptor for CHAdeMO to CCS? Any experience?

There isn't enough of a market to develop this, even if it could be produced affordably once designed. Most new chargers have both CHAdeMO and CCS, so there is no need for an adaptor.

I'm still waiting for Tesla to open their supercharging network to all EVs, and sell adaptors for CCS and CHAdeMO :lol: I'm not holding my breath.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

boltage

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:43 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:I'm still waiting for Tesla to open their supercharging network to all EVs, and sell adaptors for CCS and CHAdeMO :lol: I'm not holding my breath.

Tesla SuperChargers have a tendency to be full, because so many Teslas have free (or free up to a limit) SuperCharging, so their owners tend to use them for the free charging whether or not they need the charge at the time.

Until SuperChargers get to the point where there is spare unused capacity, do not expect Tesla to open them to other EVs or offer adapters.

GetOffYourGas

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:15 pm

boltage wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:I'm still waiting for Tesla to open their supercharging network to all EVs, and sell adaptors for CCS and CHAdeMO :lol: I'm not holding my breath.

Tesla SuperChargers have a tendency to be full, because so many Teslas have free (or free up to a limit) SuperCharging, so their owners tend to use them for the free charging whether or not they need the charge at the time.

Until SuperChargers get to the point where there is spare unused capacity, do not expect Tesla to open them to other EVs or offer adapters.

Depends entirely on location. Even at the busiest times, I've never seen the Binghamton, NY Supercharger (the one I would use most often) anywhere near full. I'm sure in SoCal, many are full more often than not. I have no idea where you are.

I do not expect Tesla to open them to other EVs or offer adapters ever. It would be wonderful if they eventually did. Then again, by that time EA will have a competing network that is almost as good. Plus other CCS networks will be in place (e.g. EVGo). It will not be nearly as critical. But hey, I'd still appreciate the gesture.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

ccrkbarthel

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:07 am

We just got back from a round trip to Rochester NY from south-central Massachusetts, where we ran into a situation at a hotel (at 2AM) where the one J1772 plug in a row of charging stations was already in use. The other plugs on the charging stations were all Tesla. We had to find a public parking lot with a J1772 L2 charger, leave the car plugged into that overnight, and get a Lyft back to our hotel. Hassle! We have now ordered one of these JDapter pigtails for our 2017 Bolt.

It would really be nice if the NY Throughway would smell the coffee and install DCFC stations at their rest areas. All of the rest areas on the Mass Pike have them.

paulgipe

Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:53 pm

ccrkbarthel wrote:We just got back from a round trip to Rochester NY from south-central Massachusetts, where we ran into a situation at a hotel (at 2AM) where the one J1772 plug in a row of charging stations was already in use. The other plugs on the charging stations were all Tesla. We had to find a public parking lot with a J1772 L2 charger, leave the car plugged into that overnight, and get a Lyft back to our hotel. Hassle! We have now ordered one of these JDapter pigtails for our 2017 Bolt.

It would really be nice if the NY Throughway would smell the coffee and install DCFC stations at their rest areas. All of the rest areas on the Mass Pike have them.

QCPower's Jdapter is a good investment even if you only use it once or twice. I use mine about 2-3 times/yr and find it's worth it. Of course I still use our Jesla 2-3 times per year too here in "EV friendly" California. ;)

I just keep the Jdapter in the car. I add the Jesla when I know I am going to need it.

Paul
Paul Gipe
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
www.wind-works.org

Return to “Batteries and Charging”