SeanNelson

Re: Dead Car, Dead 12V Battery

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:05 pm

psyflyjohn wrote:My solution is a little plug in device for the "lighter socket" (Amazon). It gives a real time read out of the battery and charging system at work.

Doesn't the lighter socket go dead once the car is turned off? I'd always assumed that any readings taken from it would only show the status of the inverter that generates power for the car's 12V systems from the high voltage battery.

psyflyjohn

Re: Dead Car, Dead 12V Battery

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:55 pm

The battery monitor device is the Palumma at Amazon for $12.99. It does only read when the car is "on", since the lighter socket is dead when the ignition is off. It allows you to watch the behavior of the 12 V system when running. Changes in the the charging behavior will probably be a harbinger of future problems. In addition, I use the Schumacher SP1296 (Amazon $30.57) for charge maintenance and desulphation. A healthy battery will not activate the charger (automatic), but the desulphater function still does it's thing. My goal is to avoid 12v problems and extend the battery life 6 to 8 yrs, We have two Bolts, and replacement AGM batteries are not cheap!

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”