trevmar

Audible warning

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:21 pm

From BBC News today..........

"New electric vehicles will have to feature a noise-emitting device, under an EU rule coming into force on Monday.
It follows concerns that low-emission cars and vans are too quiet, putting pedestrians at risk because they cannot be heard as they approach.
All new types of four-wheel electric vehicle must be fitted with the device, which sounds like a traditional engine.
A car's acoustic vehicle alert system (Avas) must sound when reversing or travelling below 12mph (19km/h)."

Any plans for this or similar in US/Canada?

SparkE

Re: Audible warning

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:33 pm

I'm pretty sure a law has already been passed (in the US) although the speed at which it must sound is higher, and it doesn't have to sound like a gasoline engine.

wscjr1

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:38 pm

My 2018 bolt EV and my wife’s 2017 Prius Prime (PHEV) both make an audible noise at low speeds. Mine stops when I select Park. Its supposedly goes away at higher speeds but it’s harder to tell if it’s on then.

Neither one sounds much like an engine.

I drove my car for some months before I realized it was making this noise, So it’s not very obvious.

marspilgrim

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but should my 2017 have this feature? I did check fuse 34 and it seems okay but I startled someone in the office parking lot today. I don't really hear anything driving at 5 mph with the window down. I think there is a long wall at the mall I can drive close to and try it but if it's that quiet they won't have much time to help avoid an impact unless I'm headed towards Jackie Chan.
2017 Bolt EV Premier

Steckr

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:18 pm

I agree the sound that is made when in drive or reverse isn't very prominent and doesn't even sound like nothing but white noise, 2 weeks ago I was at my local Price Chopper going slow through the pedestrian walk way between there parking and building and this poor guy was very startled to the point that he called me every name in the book! If the car would emit a sound like an engine this wouldn't have happened!

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”