Ular

Must have Mods for Bolt EV

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 am

I am starting my Mods List for my Bolt. Here are my first, most important Items. I am open to suggestions if anyone thinks of anything I have missed.

I thought it would need headlight improvements, however it says it comes with HID headlights/projectors already, so maybe it will be significantly better than the Volt.

1. Homelink. This is available aftermarket, with the same three buttons, and should be fairly easy install, hopefully in overhead console.

2. Spare tire. (If not available from Chevrolet) Also small jack and tools.

3. Alternate High performance rims and tires. (In case I decide to Autocross it) Enkei makes a 15 pound wheel, 17" X 7" for the Scion FRS, which I believe is the same bolt pattern as the gen2 Volt, and which is what I would expect the Bolt to use also, since it is the same weight as the new Volt. I Would probably use Bridgestone Potenza RE-71A tires, which are the best thing currently available for that rim.

PackardV8

Re: Must have Mods for Bolt EV

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 pm

Ular wrote:I am starting my Mods List for my Bolt. Here are my first, most important Items. I am open to suggestions if anyone thinks of anything I have missed.

I thought it would need headlight improvements, however it says it comes with HID headlights/projectors already, so maybe it will be significantly better than the Volt.

1. Homelink. This is available aftermarket, with the same three buttons, and should be fairly easy install, hopefully in overhead console.

2. Spare tire. (If not available from Chevrolet) Also small jack and tools.

3. Alternate High performance rims and tires. (In case I decide to Autocross it) Enkei makes a 15 pound wheel, 17" X 7" for the Scion FRS, which I believe is the same bolt pattern as the gen2 Volt, and which is what I would expect the Bolt to use also, since it is the same weight as the new Volt. I Would probably use Bridgestone Potenza RE-71A tires, which are the best thing currently available for that rim.

Your opinions and results may vary. Mine certainly do; two years in, none of the above have been necessary.
Two lists might be interesting:

Modifications and additions an owner might reasonably do/have done theyself.
1. Window tinting (Not For Us.)
2. Blacking out the chrome trim (NFU)
3. Speaker upgrades (NFU)
4. Sound deadening (NFU - We don't do enough high speed highway travel with the Bolt.)
5. Performance tires (NFU - We might choose the Michelins without self sealing next time, but don't feel the need for more stiction at the reduction of efficiency/range.)
6. Cruze Eco forged wheels (Yes, would pay $250 for a set of used ones if we could find them.)
7. Winter tires (We're using Cruze 16" steel wheels and Nokian Hakkapilitta.)
8. Homelink (NFU - why is a mounted button worth the cost and installation hassle over an unmounted button?)
9. Spare tire (NFU - for our local use, the self sealing Michelins and tire pressure readouts suffice.)

Modifications and additions GM should have done for those who might pay additionally for them:.
1. Following cruise.
2. Homelink
3. Better seats
4. Narrower console. Space we seldom use is taken from the seat belt fastening area, which we use several times daily.
5. Optional spare and jack. Other GM cars had that choice in years past.
6. Lighted locking charge port.
7. 220-volt connection/adapter/plug for the OEM EVSE.
8. Dual motor AWD performance version
9. Roof rack cross bars.

jack vines
My vehicles
2017 Bolt Premier Cajun Red
2011 Saab 9-4X
2005 Saab 9-5
1998 Saab 9000 Aero
2004 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1956 Studebaker Hawk custom with a supercharged Packard V8
1955 Studebaker custom pickup with a Packard V8

JoeS

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Since the #1 question always asked is "how far will it go?", I'm dismayed that none of the above suggestions deal with enhancing the car's range; just the opposite, some are range-reducing. Just goes to show that, once you own an EV, range is simply not an issue, especially with a Bolt.

PackardV8

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:31 am

JoeS wrote:Since the #1 question always asked is "how far will it go?", I'm dismayed that none of the above suggestions deal with enhancing the car's range; just the opposite, some are range-reducing. Just goes to show that, once you own an EV, range is simply not an issue, especially with a Bolt.

Just wait a few. The vocal minority who want to cross-country road trip their BEVs will be along.

jack vines
My vehicles
2017 Bolt Premier Cajun Red
2011 Saab 9-4X
2005 Saab 9-5
1998 Saab 9000 Aero
2004 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1956 Studebaker Hawk custom with a supercharged Packard V8
1955 Studebaker custom pickup with a Packard V8

BoltEV

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:48 pm

NFU?

Not for Us?

Is this not for United States, or not for you, Jack?

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”