2017 Chevy Bolt EV Release Date and Updates: $37k, LT & Premium Trim Levels

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in CA, Orange County and also had one of the local dealers invite me to place an order yesterday. They weren't willing to negotiate at all, so I think I'm going to wait. I don't want to pay MSRP...

For a new release, paying MSRP isn't necessarily a bad deal as it can be expected that cars on the lot could well be dealer marked up above MSRP. As supply becomes more regular that may change. We should share that info. I think I will start a new thread for that.

roundpeg said:
NeilBlanchard said:
I would spend that on a Level 2 charger, instead of a second Level 1.

You only want to have to use a Level 1 charger - on any EV, let alone a 238 mile EV - in an emergency.

I'm not sure I follow. Presumably you are referring to the DC charging option, which appears to be pretty important. I'd get that. The second I don't follow. The optional item is a second charging cable (not a charger). I guess that's for 240 AC, but I don't know, and I also don't know whether it's important to carry one of these around in the car.

Level 1 is 120V.
Level 2 is 240V.
Level 3 is DC quick charging.

No, the option is a second Level 1 charging unit. Which is not worth it.

I ordered my bolt last week and got a confirming e-mail from the dealership the same day, but no delivery date. I called the salesman and he told me they have an eta for delivery of the first or second week of January. They will update me when they get a "build date" from GM. He also said that they won't get leasing costs until early January. I have not got anything directly from GM thus far. Wondering what information, e-mails etc other members have got after ordering their Bolt?

My dealer took my $500 deposit several weeks ago, but insists that Chevy is not taking individual orders for the Bolt, and that I need to wait and see what is shipped as part of that dealer's allocation, and I am the queue to get one of those cars. I used back several times, but he insists this is the case. I want a premier, loaded, in silver, and am concerned that this will not be in the allocation.

This policy sounds different than what I am seeing from others on this forum. Can anyone shed any light?

Thank you!

mostroad said:
My dealer took my $500 deposit several weeks ago, but insists that Chevy is not taking individual orders for the Bolt...
My understanding is that dealers receive an allocation of vehicles, but they get to configure those vehicles however they see fit. It's not like GM dumps a bunch of vehicles of random configurations on them. There's no reason why a dealer couldn't configure a vehicle to your specifications and then order it as part of their allocation, unless they have some sort of dealership policy against that sort of thing or unless they've already put in orders for all the Bolts they've been allocated.

If I were you I'd point out to him that other dealers have put in custom orders on behalf of customers as part of their allocations, have received order numbers and that in some cases those orders have been accepted into production pending scheduling. If your dealer can't do the same (and assuming that you're in California or Oregon where dealers have actually received allocations) then I'd find a dealer who can and tell the first one that they just lost your business, and why.

But a good reason not to do that might be if your dealer has promised you some sort of deal and if that deal is more important to you than quick delivery.

My dealer said they needed my specs by last Tuesday for their ordering system. I specifically asked and was told that they'd be shipped the exact car I'd ordered. They told me to expect a build date in about a week and the car to arrive about 6-8 weeks from then. They seemed pretty confident that it would be here by the end of the year.

I think that the deliveries are based on where you live and how many Sparks and Volts your delaer sold over the last X years. All dealers are not created equal in the eyes of the manufacturers. I would expect them to ship a high proportion of the first vehicles to places that have done well selling them in the past, in states with the more built-out charging networks.

LG Chem the supplier of the batteries and motors for the Bolt, started production in August. In a SEC filing to share holders GM stated that the Orion plant would start production of the Bolt in October 2016. So 6-8 weeks sounds reasonable at first glance. GM has stated that in support of their $500 million investment in Lyft the first production cars would go there with some selected VIP's getting some also. It is October 24th and no production announcement yet from GM. Also lets keep in mind this is a brand new car on a brand new platform, as the early Volt drivers would recall GM sat on the first production run of that car for ten weeks before releasing them to the dealers. It would be great to get our hands on our Bolts before the end of this year but realistically the preponderance of evidence points to January. If anyone has more up to date information please share it with us.

leodoggie said:
LG Chem the supplier of the batteries and motors for the Bolt, started production in August. In a SEC filing to share holders GM stated that the Orion plant would start production of the Bolt in October 2016. So 6-8 weeks sounds reasonable at first glance. GM has stated that in support of their $500 million investment in Lyft the first production cars would go there with some selected VIP's getting some also. It is October 24th and no production announcement yet from GM. Also lets keep in mind this is a brand new car on a brand new platform, as the early Volt drivers would recall GM sat on the first production run of that car for ten weeks before releasing them to the dealers. It would be great to get our hands on our Bolts before the end of this year but realistically the preponderance of evidence points to January. If anyone has more up to date information please share it with us.
Dealers in CA and OR have received specific allocations, configured cars and been given build week info with delivery dates before the end of the year.
Lyft drivers will be "among the first" to receive Bolts, but the first production cars will not be exclusively for them. GM issued a clarification of Lyfts statement that they would get the first cars.

The only build date that I have seen is the week of 11/28 on another thread. Going on that January still seems more likely. Although I placed my order last week as part of my dealers first allocation in ca, they have not given me a build date yet. Has anyone been contacted directly from GM? All my communication has been from the dealership.

SparkE said:
I think that the deliveries are based on where you live and how many Sparks and Volts your delaer sold over the last X years. All dealers are not created equal in the eyes of the manufacturers. I would expect them to ship a high proportion of the first vehicles to places that have done well selling them in the past, in states with the more built-out charging networks.

DucRider said:
Dealers in CA and OR have received specific allocations, configured cars and been given build week info with delivery dates before the end of the year.

My local dealership told me they'd been allocated four Bolts in this first run, which is not a lot obviously, but they are a smaller dealership, and I put down my deposit on one of the four. If they've been given a build date they have yet to share it with me.

Friend of mine works at a dealership here on the east coast and he said he looked into it and were being told that they are going to be sold on the west coast first... sucks... im told possibly mid 2017 for east coast so looks like I will have to wait then drive westward to get in and find mine... that hopefully will replace my prius... time will tell now i guess..

RootBreaker said:
Friend of mine works at a dealership here on the east coast and he said he looked into it and were being told that they are going to be sold on the west coast first... sucks... im told possibly mid 2017 for east coast so looks like I will have to wait then drive westward to get in and find mine... that hopefully will replace my prius... time will tell now i guess..

I would be very surprised to learn that no Bolts will appear on the east coast before May-ish of 2017. I bet the the dealerships on the east coast getting them before that are simply the ones who sold a lot of Volts (and maybe Spark EVs) over the past few years. Not only do they have a proven track record, their shop has already gone through 'this is an EV' training - especially the mechanics.

RootBreaker said:

Where on the east coast? I have heard that NYC area should get them by January at the latest, possibly even in December. A friend in Buffalo reports that his local dealer expects to have them on the lot by February or March.

But that is hearsay, and may have changed. I should follow up with a dealer, see if they have any allocated.

I'm in Philadelphia suburbs and I put down a deposit on a Bolt this week. The dealer just informed me today that PA won't be getting any allocations until 2nd quarter of 2017 :-(

Back