2019 Bolt EV AWD

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomit

When the Bolt EV arrives at the dealers late in 2016, there will likely be at lease two trim levels. We've all seen this before and a relevant example is the Volt, which has LT and Premier trim levels. On top of the trim levels are the packages, such as the "Drivers Confidence Package" and "Driver Confidence II Package." For a complete rundown of the feature differences in the Volt, go here: http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car/specs/trims.html.

The $37,500 Bolt EV will come "decontented" from what GM has shown. It won't have all the safety features. The rear view mirror will not have the video screen. The wheels may be smaller or less flashy. The headlights may be halogen instead of LED. I strongly expect the powertrain and battery will be the same, but the CCS DC fast charger will be an option. The base version may have fewer paint or interiors colors available.

It will, of course, cost us money to add those features back in. How much they cost will be based on how strong the demand is expected to be which, in turn, is based on things such as the strength of the competition and even the price of oil. Other options that might still be revealed are (only my speculation here) heated steering wheel, sunroof, leather seating, and maybe memory seats. I do not expect any "sporty" trim options, such as different bumpers, spoilers, larger wheels, or different suspension. I also don't expect any CUV-like features, such as increased ground clearance, towing package, or AWD. ...at least initially.

But depending on how the battery-only EV market evolves, GM may be motivated to produce variants of the Bolt EV that lean its character one way or the other. The GM execs and engineers have been very clear that they've positioned the Bolt for the middle of the market. They want it to be seen as a normal car. The dedicated platform allows the battery to be optimally positioned below the floor but that inherently raises the passenger compartment, hence giving it a taller appearance.

As a result, GM marketing wants to call it a crossover. Showcasing the Bolt EV as a crossover also gets it into the rising tide of the small CUV craze, which is the fastest growing vehicle segment. But the Bolt EV doesn't meet the typical CUV criteria, except for possibly a raised seating position. Most importantly, it doesn't have all-wheel drive.

Here is my guess for how GM will evolve the Bolt EV. In 2018, they'll announce an AWD version that has a second electric motor in the rear. This motor will fit very nicely just aft of the battery.
2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-131-876x535.jpg

They will use the space that is below the false floor in the current Bolt EV trunk. The best demonstration of that space I've seen is in this video: https://youtu.be/6lnkgEbSqfE?t=4m2s. You can get an idea of its depth, which looks to be about 10 inches.

The addition of AWD does a few notable things. It increases traction but also adds regen capability to all four wheels, beyond just the front. There is an inherent efficiency gain by sharing the acceleration and deceleration forces among two motors on two axles. As an example, the AWD Tesla Model S 85D has better range and acceleration than the lighter weight but RWD-only Model S 85.

In order to reduce the costs for a second motor, it needs to be manufactured in large quantities. It does not need to be the same size as the current front motor, which puts out 200hp and 266lb-ft. I'm wondering if they'll decrease the front motor size and capability and use the same motor for the rear. Maybe they will use a 140hp/175lb-ft motor on both axles for a combined total of 280hp/350lb-ft.

Those two, smaller motors would provide serious acceleration performance and create a car more able to compete with the Tesla Model 3. Sub 6 second acceleration to 60 mph would be easy. The reduced front motor torque would reduce torque steer. The rear motor would add weight, but that would be partially offset by the lighter front motor. The front/rear weight bias would be closer to 50/50 helping create a more neutral handling car. We can hope that they also add a multilink rear suspension, in combination with the rear motor, to once again increase handling prowess.

But to extract the necessary power out of the batteries, which are currently limited to 160kW (215 hp), they'll likely need to increase the battery capacity. So using the same battery volume, and assuming slow but steady advancement in battery technology, maybe they increase the battery capacity by 25% to 75 kWh. That larger battery, in combination with a more efficient drivetrain, might yield a 30% increase in range to above 260 mi.

So how does this fantasy AWD version compare to the Bolt EV we know of today?

2017 Bolt EV
Initial sales: late 2016
Drivetrain: FWD, 200hp/266lb-ft
Battery: 60kWh
Rear Cargo: 16.9 cu ft
Weight: 3,580 lb
Range: 200+
0-60: <7 sec

2019 Bolt EV AWD
Initial sales: 2019
Drivetrain: AWD, 280hp/350 lb-ft
Battery: 75kWh
Rear Cargo: 11 cu ft
Weight: 3,800 lb
Range: 260+ mi
0-60: 5.5 sec

This gives GM a premium version of the Bolt EV with AWD flexibility. The battery and motor costs will be higher, which will be justified by the increased range and performance. The only functional loss is the reduced rear cargo space, which is admittedly already on the small side.

There are two big obstacles to a 2019 Bolt EV AWD. First, will the market support a spruced up Bolt EV that encroaches on the expected luxury, performance and AWD capability of the Tesla Model 3? Second, will battery technology evolve fast enough to allow the increased output needed to power the two motors?

I don't care if it has AWD or even DCFC. I don't care if GM builds charging facilities.

All I want is:

1. It will go 150 miles at freeway speeds, on a cold day, when the car is three years old and has 45,000 miles; and
2. It is actually available to buy

michael said:
All I want is:

1. It will go 150 miles at freeway speeds, on a cold day, when the car is three years old and has 45,000 miles;
My comments were not based on what I want, simply my expectations for what GM will be motivated to do based on the market and competition.

Do you think your desires represent a significant portion of the BEV market?

I think it represents the view of those who have been driving a BEV regularly and are pushing its capabilities.

Issues of battery fade with time and miles, and the crippling effects of cold weather (battery capacity and climate) are unknown to those who haven't actually lived with a BEV and they don't come to light until one has been driving for a few years.

The rewards of smooth, quiet operation and avoidance of gas stations are really important. All I need is a car that gets be where I need to go without concern for remote charging. Range is everything if you can get home without recharging.

Interesting point about GM scaling back the options on the $30,000 version, I hadn't thought of that, and many others probably haven't either, but it makes sense and it's happened on all other sorts of vehicles too... I just got a little bit sad now.

gmvoltguy said:
Interesting point about GM scaling back the options on the $30,000 version, I hadn't thought of that, and many others probably haven't either, but it makes sense and it's happened on all other sorts of vehicles too... I just got a little bit sad now.
Yeah--what we've seen is the $42,000+ MSRP model with all the bells and whistles.

You're probably right, but consider this...

The Ford Focus electric has a sticker price of $30,165 fully loaded, including nav, leather, every option offerered. There's currently $3500 in factory cash, so $26,665 before any tax rebates and dealer discount. Allowing an estimated $7000 adjustment to increase battery capacity by 40kWh and to add DCFC, it would still be around $34,000.

So if Chevy prices the car like Ford does, they might give us a lot at the $37,500 target. Not saying they will, but it's feasible.

I for one would really like the AWD, but mainly for additional traction and only for the occasional trip to the snow. Thus the 2nd motor needs not be so powerful. A secondary plus is that 2 motors can be more efficient, resulting in more range, by keeping the primary motor in the more efficient power curve. The examples are the dual motor application in the Telsa SxxD and the 2016 Volt.

I was under the impression there were no other 'options' with the Chevy Bolt. What you see is what you get.

Seeing what Tesla has done with the Model 3, I don't think Chevrolet has room to say "We've been showing you the optioned model all along. The base model doesn't have X, Y, Z, or 1, 2, 3, either."

In the rear of the Bolt EV, between the wheels where the rear wheel traction motor would go, isn't that where the Bolt is getting most of its large interior cargo measurements from? A second electric motor would affect cargo space...

gmvoltguy said:
I was under the impression there were no other 'options' with the Chevy Bolt. What you see is what you get.

Seeing what Tesla has done with the Model 3, I don't think Chevrolet has room to say "We've been showing you the optioned model all along. The base model doesn't have X, Y, Z, or 1, 2, 3, either."
Production car reveals are usually the opposite, showing you everything they offer but allowing you to get a vehicle without the options. They want you excited about the loaded version and would not just show you the base model. (Tesla operates differently BTW, so the same may not apply to the Model 3.)

To my knowledge, GM has not commented on what features will be in the $37,500 vehicle. They want to continue to develop their cost/profit models based on continued development and production data plus incorporate better market data (price of oil, for example) and competitive pressures (Model 3 features and costs, etc).

We already know the DC fast charging will be an option and, as on the Volt, the Lane Keep Assist and Automatic Front Braking are also likely to be options.

Thanks for this - good point about manufacturers showing off the fully featured options and exciting people. Even in TV commercials you see a bunch of features, and at the end they have the disclaimer "fully loaded vehicle shown. MSRP shown is based on blah blah blah"

This question is a bit out there but what do you think the reality is of having EV four wheel drive? Some climates are so much more colder than others and 4 wheel drive is a must-have do you think this type of Technology will eventually lead to a four wheel drive electric vehicle especially a pickup

I think that's wishful thinking the all-wheel drive is not even standard yet so a four-wheel drive would be pretty far in the future

Proper snow tires can replace the need for AWD. If you haven't driven with 4 modern snow tires on your car, you don't know what you're missing! :cool: The benefits to acceleration and stopping power are immense (unlike with AWD that only helps accelerate).

ssspinball said:
Proper snow tires can replace the need for AWD. If you haven't driven with 4 modern snow tires on your car, you don't know what you're missing! :cool: The benefits to acceleration and stopping power are immense (unlike with AWD that only helps accelerate).

Absolutely! I am partial to Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires - they are very good in snow and ice - and they are some of the lowest rolling resistance tires ever made, of any type.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying Hakkapeliittas yet but I know they are widely considered the world standard. It's not even that much more expensive to have snow tires because two sets of tires means both sets typically last twice as long. You basically are paying for an extra set of rims.

Back