Amber - HVAC Power Consumption Question

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oilerlord said:
I was hoping for more of a technical answer than a how-to, but thanks for your reply.

We do have some data...@devbolt provided this info when preconditioning his car:

"Max draw from the wall when pre-conditioning is indeed the max that the EVSE can provide. However, the car will consume any additional power it needs from the battery pack to heat or cool the car. I saw 7.35 kW being drawn from the wall (30A at 245V = 7350 watts), and an additional 2 or so kW being drawn from the battery pack when I had the heat turned up to max. If I had the heat turned down to a more reasonable level like 75, the car only pulled what was absolutely necessary, which was somewhere between 3 and 4 kW."

I'm assuming that the heater initially draws 7.35 kW, and over 9 kW when heater is set to "max". A setting of 75F is between 3-4kW. This is when the car is plugged in.

Preconditioning & driving the car may have different results. If a Bolt owner has the time, and for the benefit of the group, please do a couple of tests with the heater & A/C and post them here.

Thanks!

You are more than welcome, oilerlord. If you have additional questions/concerns that I can help to address, please let me know. I'm always happy to help as best as I can.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back