Best US states to buy EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidan

Colorado in 2017 $5,000 discount at the dealership Plus Federal EV subsidies could be as high as a $12,500 rebate for owning an all-electric vehicle California also offers good rebates to middle class income households around 4500 for an EV and up to 6500 for hydrogen powered vehicles

Interestingly enough I couldn't find any information on the best provinces in Canada to buy electric vehicles I did however find links and sites to BC Ontario and Quebec go green and electric vehicle incentives but nothing concrete like in the United States

British Columbia, Canada's "Clean Energy Vehicles for BC" program offers a $5000 rebate for the purchase of a new electric vehicles, as well as a $3250 incentive from the Scrap-It program if you scrap your previous vehicle in order to buy an EV.

Aidan said:
Colorado in 2017 $5,000 discount at the dealership Plus Federal EV subsidies could be as high as a $12,500 rebate for owning an all-electric vehicle California also offers good rebates to middle class income households around 4500 for an EV and up to 6500 for hydrogen powered vehicles
Colorado currently allows up to $6,000 in state tax credit (1% per kWh of battery) plus the $7,500 tax credit (NOT a rebate). Both are good on leased as well as purchased vehicles. In 2017, it switches to a flat $5,000 rebate that can be deducted from the purchase price, but in the case of a lease it is $2,500. If you're looking at a lease in Colorado, doing it in 2016 could net big savings.

California's program is a rebate. It's $2,500 for an EV, $1,500 for a PHEV, $5,000 for a FCEV. If your income is <300% of Federal Poverty Level (~$60K for a 3 person household), add $1,500 to any of those. If you are above $250K ($500K if filing jointly), no rebate for you!

However,
Important Information from the State of California
Funding is currently exhausted. All applications submitted after June 10, 2016 will be placed on a rebate waitlist.

This has happened often in the past, and new funding has always appeared. But no guarantees.

Aidan said:

I'm not from Colorado or California. :( So what's the Chevy Bolt gonna cost in those states?

mark111 said:
I'm not from Colorado or California. :( So what's the Chevy Bolt gonna cost in those states?
Base level will be "Under $30,000 (after the $7,500 Federal Income Tax Credit).
DO NOT buy/lease the base car...... at a minimum you'll want to add the Quick Charge Option which, if the Spark EV is any indication, should be an additional $750.

So, if purchased, the MSRP should be about $38,245.
If leased, the entire $7,500 should be applied as a cap cost reduction. Sometimes only a portion (BMW is a good example) only a portion is passed on to the lessor.

Quick charge(I assume this is CCS DC charging) is an option for the Bolt?

Do people think anyone will buy a Bolt without the quick charge option?

Someday, and I hope soon, options like this will be seen as standard.

rsewill said:
Quick charge(I assume this is CCS DC charging) is an option for the Bolt?

Do people think anyone will buy a Bolt without the quick charge option?

Someday, and I hope soon, options like this will be seen as standard.
I had a conversation with the GM of the local dealer about GM's decision to make it an option. I said most would regret not having it, but he was of the opinion that it allows the lowest lease price possible, and he would likely order 20-40% of the base model (without the Quick Charge option). I said that is my point, everyone should have it, and by making it an option it will create some unhappy owners. If it's $750, it will add $10 to the monthly lease payment.

BMW started with it as an option on the i3, but it's now standard. I hope GM makes the change on the 2018 model.

DucRider said:
If leased, the entire $7,500 should be applied as a cap cost reduction

I looked at leasing a Volt a few years ago, and this is NOT how GM handled the rebate. They basically tacked it onto the residual and pocketed 100% of it themselves. If you only lease and return, it looks the same as a cap cost reduction. But if you plan on buying out the lease, you basically have to pay them (GM) the entire $7500.

I'm not sure if they changed that, or if they will for the Bolt, but this was more or less highway robbery.

If that's the case it would make a lot more sense to lease and return then either buy new again or look to the used market.

Back