Chevy Bolt EV Forum Introduction

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane78

Hi Everyone, I wanted to say Hi now that I am part of the Bolt forum!

I'm planning to get a Bolt. I think it's a great car, with lots of room inside for what I need to use it for.
Yes it doesn't compete with a BMW for nice styling or quickness, but I wasn't in the market for such a vehicle. I just need a good, comfortable and affordable not-odd-looking electric vehicle with 200 miles range. The Bolt will be perfect.

I think the Model 3 looks great and I know it will be a great car for someone shopping for an upscale EV. I think it will be delivered on Tesla Timeline and the cost will be above what they say with so many options to add. That's fine for their target market but not for me.

If Nissan will soon announce information on the LEAF2 then I might switch to it, but so far the Bolt later this year seems to be in a class of its own.

Welcome to the forum, Shane!

It sounds like your approach to the car is very reasonable, and less emotionally driven. That seems like the most likely target market for the Bolt. Model III buyers will likely be more emotionally driven, and that's ok.

I suspect the Bolt will be cheaper than the Model III when comparably equiped. It's a great utilitarian little EV.

I personally prefer the Model III, but frankly will more likely buy a Bolt. I already mentioned I believe it will be cheaper. It will also be more reliable. Tesla has reliability issues with everything from drivetrain to door handles. I don't know if I'm up for that much headache from a car, as sexy and fun as it may be.

The Leaf 2 is definitely a wild card. My 2012 Leaf is an excellent car, save for the small battery and the dorky looks. If the Leaf 2 arrives with a 60kWh battery, looking anything like the IDS concept, it will sell well.

And there are any number of others who are working on EVs who may come out with something surprising (Ford and VW come to mind).

It is an exciting time for an EV enthusiast. The automotive landscape will definitely look different in 2020.

Welcome here! As DucRider already said, you're not alone.

Tesla is definitely playing with emotions when appealing to the market, but I agree with the reliability issues. Granted, any vehicle can have issues, and it's really hard to predict the future, but it seems that a more 'national' automaker like GM has more experience (good or bad I guess).

Thanks everyone! After reading so much of the 'pro-model-3' comments on the news sites, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one feeling this way.... glad to know I've found a place with some like-minded people!

(not to say that what Tesla is doing isn't awesome, just isn't for everyone)

Can't wait for news on Bolt EV availability in my area. :p :mrgreen:

shane78 said:
Thanks everyone! After reading so much of the 'pro-model-3' comments on the news sites, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one feeling this way.... glad to know I've found a place with some like-minded people!

(not to say that what Tesla is doing isn't awesome, just isn't for everyone)

Can't wait for news on Bolt EV availability in my area. :p :mrgreen:

If there's anywhere to look for people enthusiastic about the Bolt, it's here!

I live in upstate NY, but still have family downstate who I visit often. I am exciting for the 2016 holiday season, as I'll be looking to find a dealer in greater NYC with a Bolt to test drive.

One thing to note about Tesla, they intend that service not be a "profit center" for their business. Can't say that about auto-dealers now can we? Our Tesla S85 is an early 2013 (VIN 6xxx) that accelerates and handles like no other car we've ever owned. If the Model 3 is anywhere near as nice to drive as our S, there won't be much reason to buy anything else, outside of "settling" for something else due to low production rates in the first year or two. The larger battery and AWD options are almost certainly going to make most of the early cars more expensive than the Bolt, but no one would seriously compare the two cars beyond the bare minimum spec of the Model 3 against a goodly spec'd Bolt.

SmartElectric said:
One thing to note about Tesla, they intend that service not be a "profit center" for their business. Can't say that about auto-dealers now can we? Our Tesla S85 is an early 2013 (VIN 6xxx) that accelerates and handles like no other car we've ever owned. If the Model 3 is anywhere near as nice to drive as our S, there won't be much reason to buy anything else, outside of "settling" for something else due to low production rates in the first year or two. The larger battery and AWD options are almost certainly going to make most of the early cars more expensive than the Bolt, but no one would seriously compare the two cars beyond the bare minimum spec of the Model 3 against a goodly spec'd Bolt.
I agree, the Bolt is a sub $40K hatchback available in late 2016 or early 2017.
The Model 3 saloon in $45K+ trim will be available in 2018 or 2019 ($35K version to follow in 2020?).
Comparing the two is a bit "Apples to Oranges".

As for Tesla service, look at the map of service centers and you'll see that many customers could be 500 miles from the closest service center. If the Model 3 is twice as reliable as the S/X, that's still thousands of miles traveled to take of (sometimes small) problems. They currently have 59 service centers. If they put an additional 300K cars on the road, that equates to 50K cars per service center. I haven't heard how much they expand, but unless it is 10 times the current number, it will be woefully insufficient. I happen to live relatively close to a service center, so getting my Model 3 serviced will be easy(ish). But with 1 service center in a 250 mile radius, getting an appointment might be challenging if they are servicing something like 25K cars out of that location. If you live in Montana/Idaho/Wyoming North or South Dakota, you're looking at a a choice of:
Denver, Salt Lake, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle. I'd need to think seriously about owning a Tesla that far from service.
Tesla has increased the distance they will tow your S/X for a warranty issue to 500 miles. But Tesla Service Rangers will cost you $3 per mile with a $100 minimum.

I've been an EV driver for quite a while, currently driving a RAV4 EV, which is EV #4 for me. I'm currently leaning towards the Bolt.

I put down a deposit on the Model 3 before it was revealed, mostly as a placeholder. As soon as I saw the car, however, it just kind of left me flat. I don't think it is the car for me. I really want a 5 door hatch, not a four door ( I love the RAV4 for that reason. )

Now that there are 300-400,000 Tesla reservations, I have concerns about Tesla's ability to scale quickly enough to deliver. Maintaining quality while pumping out product is always tough. There's also a LOT of hype, which raises expectations. Something is bound to give.

The Bolt is going to be a sleeper hit. I think GM is doing this right - produce a good quality car without too much hype. Once they get the cars on the road, people will notice them and momentum will build. For me, I like the simple utility of it, the big hatch and room to easily carry stuff is perfect for my needs. I also like that it has a real instrument cluster.

Geo said:
I've been an EV driver for quite a while, currently driving a RAV4 EV, which is EV #4 for me. I'm currently leaning towards the Bolt.

I put down a deposit on the Model 3 before it was revealed, mostly as a placeholder. As soon as I saw the car, however, it just kind of left me flat. I don't think it is the car for me. I really want a 5 door hatch, not a four door ( I love the RAV4 for that reason. )

Now that there are 300-400,000 Tesla reservations, I have concerns about Tesla's ability to scale quickly enough to deliver. Maintaining quality while pumping out product is always tough. There's also a LOT of hype, which raises expectations. Something is bound to give.

The Bolt is going to be a sleeper hit. I think GM is doing this right - produce a good quality car without too much hype. Once they get the cars on the road, people will notice them and momentum will build. For me, I like the simple utility of it, the big hatch and room to easily carry stuff is perfect for my needs. I also like that it has a real instrument cluster.

Hey Geo, welcome here! How far up in the line-up do you figure you are? If you decide not to pull the trigger on the Model 3, you should sell your spot :)

I am really anxious to see the Bolt EV in person - I like what I see in the pictures and I'm sure in person will make it seem less like a blend-in vehicle. There are things about the styling that are very unique and will catch peoples eye when out on the road.

ziv said:
Hey Geo, welcome here! How far up in the line-up do you figure you are? If you decide not to pull the trigger on the Model 3, you should sell your spot :)

I am really anxious to see the Bolt EV in person - I like what I see in the pictures and I'm sure in person will make it seem less like a blend-in vehicle. There are things about the styling that are very unique and will catch peoples eye when out on the road.

Well, we're not allowed to sell our place in line... :D but maybe my wife will want it. I was #88 at my local Tesla store and I'm on the west coast, so that's good, but I'm sure the ultimate place in the queue depends on how many options you add to the base model. Tesla tends to favor the people who spend gobs of money.

Regardless, I'm going to hang on to my spot until I get some test drives of the Bolt and (hopefully) the Tesla. I won't need to decide anything until sometime next year.

Geo said:
Well, we're not allowed to sell our place in line... :D but maybe my wife will want it. I was #88 at my local Tesla store and I'm on the west coast, so that's good, but I'm sure the ultimate place in the queue depends on how many options you add to the base model. Tesla tends to favor the people who spend gobs of money.

I guess that makes sense, otherwise you'd have a bunch of reservations just of people hoping to make a quick buck - I guess buying and then flipping it doesn't work with transfer taxes etc cutting into profits.

I agree, waiting for test drives seems to make sense both on the Bolt and the Model 3. I think the Bolt EV will get an advantage there because test drives will likely be more readily available sooner. Although, I think with the Model S Tesla did cross country test-drive tours? Or was that Nissan?

Bah.... confusion setting in - which is good because it means we're getting more EV options!

I've been interested in EVs since 1996 or so. A co-worker did a conversion, the EV1 and similar California only EVs really got my attention. I didn't live in California, so couldn't get one. After the EV1s were crushed, I was thinking about a conversion for a decade or so, and then got wind of Ford's EV plans. Through work at a Ford supplier, I had the privilege of driving SN #6 for a while. I signed papers saying I'd never disclose anything about the car, but I'll take the chance on saying I loved it. I don't think Ford will mind, especially as the car has been out for a few years. Other than a few issues, I think most people owning one have loved it.
The Leaf came out, and for various reasons I bought a LEAF in 2012 rather than a FFEV. This was a hard choice, both cars are nice. I've owned two LEAFs, the first was hit from behind on the Freeway. Traffic stopped, I stopped, the car behind me didn't. Replace with a 2014 LEAF.

I would like to buy a new EV for me, and hand the LEAF down to a family member. Maybe next year, maybe in 2018 or 2019.

Bolt is on the list. I don't like the Tesla Model 3, however I'll test drive one before completely removing. LEAF 2, or an upgraded FFE, will be considered. Probably more will be available, depending on how long I wait.

shane78 said:
Hi Everyone, I wanted to say Hi now that I am part of the Bolt forum!

I'm planning to get a Bolt. I think it's a great car, with lots of room inside for what I need to use it for.
Yes it doesn't compete with a BMW for nice styling or quickness, but I wasn't in the market for such a vehicle. I just need a good, comfortable and affordable not-odd-looking electric vehicle with 200 miles range. The Bolt will be perfect.

I think the Model 3 looks great and I know it will be a great car for someone shopping for an upscale EV. I think it will be delivered on Tesla Timeline and the cost will be above what they say with so many options to add. That's fine for their target market but not for me.

If Nissan will soon announce information on the LEAF2 then I might switch to it, but so far the Bolt later this year seems to be in a class of its own.

Welcome to the Chevy Bolt EV Forum, Shane! I'm interested in Bolt EV as well.

Back