CHEVY BOLT EV VS. 2016 TESLA MODEL S 60: HIGH-VOLTAGE

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westernkicks

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-vs-2016-tesla-model-s-60/

The Chevrolet Bolt EV and Tesla Model S are the only battery-electric cars in existence with more than 200 miles of range on a charge. Both the Bolt EV and Model S 60 have 60-kW-hr batteries, and have the patriotic bonus of being made in the U.S.A. So, which one is better, given that you could have two Bolts (after federal tax credits) for the price of one Model S 60? Is the Tesla is actually worth the extra 30 large?

A quick side note: This Bolt versus Model S 60 comparison is the exhibition before a more appropriate title fight—Bolt versus Elon Musk’s $35,000 Tesla Model 3. Set to arrive in late 2017 with a price much closer to the Bolt’s, the compact Model 3 currently has more than 400,000 reservation holders, promises to go at least 215 miles on a charge, and will be available with all the Tesla tech and mystique the company’s fans love.

Comparing a Bolt to a Model S is like comparing a Chevy Sonic to an Audi A7. Completely different target audiences.

oilerlord said:
Comparing a Bolt to a Model S is like comparing a Chevy Sonic to an Audi A7. Completely different target audiences.
Unless you consider that they are the only 60 kWh EV's on the market today.....
Not saying that there is much cross shopping between the two, but there is some validity to comparing what $60K vs $30K gets you in a 200+ mile EV. For some, the money will be the deciding factor, For others, the SC network and/or the big, heavy sedan feel (or Tesla cache, Tesla not producing any ICE vehicles, etc) are key and worth the extra money.

I hate to be pedantic (but apparently, that's who I am) : it's spelled 'cachet' (based on your use of the word).

'cache' is a hidden store of stuff : food for a backpacker, money for emergencies, etc.

DucRider said:
oilerlord said:
Unless you consider that they are the only 60 kWh EV's on the market today.....
Not saying that there is much cross shopping between the two, but there is some validity to comparing what $60K vs $30K gets you in a 200+ mile EV. For some, the money will be the deciding factor, For others, the SC network and/or the big, heavy sedan feel (or Tesla cachet, Tesla not producing any ICE vehicles, etc) are key and worth the extra money.

DucRider said:
there is some validity to comparing what $60K vs $30K gets you in a 200+ mile EV. For some, the money will be the deciding factor, For others, the SC network and/or the big, heavy sedan feel (or Tesla cache, Tesla not producing any ICE vehicles, etc) are key and worth the extra money.

It's so much more than that.

I paid twice as much for my B250e than a Focus Electric - despite the Focus having a range and efficiency advantage (at least on paper). The Mercedes was so much more overall car for the money than the Ford. I think the target audience for a Model S will view the Bolt the same way.

I might be in the grey zone between a used Model S and a Bolt. Looks like for maybe $50K I could get a used Tesla vs low-30's (after incentives) for the Bolt (plus the ability to lease). So most likely Bolt for me. But if I came across a really sweet deal on a Tesla....???

oilerlord said:

So why is there article after article about it? (Rhetorical question) Gets really confusing for us who are slowly getting into things :roll:

There are only two choices for an EV with over 200 miles of range - Tesla or Bolt. Comparisons are inevitable. People will prefer one over the other, but that does make the comparison invalid.

There are so many ways they are different, that it's easy to criticize the choice to compare them. But the same can be said of the choice to compare a Ford to a Mercedes :D

oilerlord said:
DucRider said:
there is some validity to comparing what $60K vs $30K gets you in a 200+ mile EV. For some, the money will be the deciding factor, For others, the SC network and/or the big, heavy sedan feel (or Tesla cache, Tesla not producing any ICE vehicles, etc) are key and worth the extra money.

It's so much more than that.

I paid twice as much for my B250e than a Focus Electric - despite the Focus having a range and efficiency advantage (at least on paper). The Mercedes was so much more overall car for the money than the Ford. I think the target audience for a Model S will view the Bolt the same way.

This is usually the case. Often we get what we pay for

DucRider said:
There are so many ways they are different, that it's easy to criticize the choice to compare them. But the same can be said of the choice to compare a Ford to a Mercedes :D

I never said the comparison was invalid, only questionable., One is aimed at the "budget" audience while the other is aimed at the performance / luxury car buyer. I'm not sure why I'm getting flamed on comparing two EV's that were finalists on my shopping list...the Ford and the Mercedes... :?: Did you find it offensive? I'll rephrase.

A used, very low mileage, 2014 Focus Electric at under $12,000 is a very good value.. Given the market for <100 mile EV's the Ford is fun to drive and well equipped for the money. If $12,000 is the limit of your used EV budget, and you can live with a small car with limited cargo room, look no further.

For buyers with a budget in the low $20's, the Mercedes B250e has a level of fit and finish & luxury that surpasses the Ford. Some will feel it's well worth the additional cost if only to receive the Tesla-supplied battery and powertrain. It's also a physically larger vehicle - much like a small SUV, so it fits four adults comfortably, and the cargo area isn't compromised by the battery as is the case with the Ford.

Better?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with comparing the Bolt with the Model S. The only point I was making is that they very different cars aimed at different target audiences. If range is the ONLY criteria for a comparison, then clearly - it makes absolutely no sense to buy a Tesla Model S 60 when a Chevy Bolt can be had for nearly half the price, For me, the rest of the car ended up being more important to me despite costing twice as much as another car I was considering / comparing.

In summary, you get what you pay for.

Back