Chevy Bolt EV will cost more than $46,500 in Canada

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

Based on a comment from GM that the Bolt EV will receive the full $14,000 tax rebate in Ontario, that means the MSRP has to be higher than $46,500 to qualify

Using a basic exchange calculation, that actually puts the USD price at $34,100 which is cheaper than the stated $37,500. So I guess GM is willing to sell for less in order to make sure some still get into Canada.

However, is it really necessary? If they are only producing 30,000 of them the first year, I'm sure the USA would be able to buy all of those up anyway?

Full article: http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-will-cost-more-than-46500-in-canada/

Similar pricing difference as the '16 Volt, which ended up being a bit cheaper in Canada than the US due to the exchange rate. Maybe GM is hoping the Canadian dollar rises a little between now and then.

I'm just hoping the BC CEV rebate comes back before the Bolt is available.

marta said:
that actually puts the USD price at $34,100 which is cheaper than the stated $37,500.

No, that's not at all what the GM claim for maximum Ontario EV rebate ($14K) is implying.

The Bolt could retail (MSRP) for $50K Canadian which translates to $37500 US.
It would still be eligible for $14K rebate.

As per:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml

The Bolt MSRP in Canada could be $70K and still get a $14K rebate.

SmartElectric said:
marta said:
that actually puts the USD price at $34,100 which is cheaper than the stated $37,500.

No, that's not at all what the GM claim for maximum Ontario EV rebate ($14K) is implying.

The Bolt could retail (MSRP) for $50K Canadian which translates to $37500 US.
It would still be eligible for $14K rebate.

As per:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml

The Bolt MSRP in Canada could be $70K and still get a $14K rebate.

At first when I read your comment I thought you were arguing the cost doesn't have to be that high.....

Then I realized you are saying the minimum price will be $46,500? Which is what the article stated.

Due to the current exchange situation it can really make a difference in vehicle cost, and if the Chevy Bolt EV is a small offering that Chevrolet doesn't need to sell in Canada, they aren't going to lose their shirt on it.

I'm expecting high 40s for the Bolt and the Model 3. The price used to calculate the Ontario incentive excludes freight, so price including freight for the Bolt is likely to be $48,000 or more.

Straight conversion of the USD price of $37,500 (including freight) is $49,900.

Breezy said:
I'm expecting high 40s for the Bolt and the Model 3. The price used to calculate the Ontario incentive excludes freight, so price including freight for the Bolt is likely to be $48,000 or more.

Straight conversion of the USD price of $37,500 (including freight) is $49,900.

Thanks - that's a good point. And with the exchange constantly shifting, I don't think we can really predict the price GM will offer the Bolt electric vehicle at until it's officially announced later this year...

Chevy promised electrical Vehicles attainable to the masses, at $46,000 that doesn't seem like it's attainable to everyone.

Tesla's average cost is $90,000 for their electric vehicles. The Chevy Bolt EV is projected at half of that price so I guess not too bad in comparison

The prices for electrical vehicles are decreasing slowly as infrastructure and Technology becomes cheaper but an electric vehicle is no small investment

There are tax credits and other incentives to help bring down the cost of the Chevy Bolt or any other electric vehicle

The USD exchange rate is a variable of concern for the cost of an EV vehicle in Canada

MINK said:
I'm confused guys. Which one is the correct price of Bolt EV in Canada?
We just don't really know until GM Canada announces the prices and options. Right now all we know for sure is that it's going to be $37,500 in the US and that the Canadian price will be higher, probably pretty much in line with the Cdn/US$ exchange rate. Right now that's a 30% premium, so you'd be looking at around $49,000.

SeanNelson said:
MINK said:
We just don't really know until GM Canada announces the prices and options. Right now all we know for sure is that it's going to be $37,500 in the US and that the Canadian price will be higher, probably pretty much in line with the Cdn/US$ exchange rate. Right now that's a 30% premium, so you'd be looking at around $49,000.

Alright then. I'll just have to wait. Thanks for letting me know.

SeanNelson said:
MINK said:

FWIW, the higher dollar number in Canada isn't really a premium. The name of the units of currency in the U.S. and Canada may be the same but they don't buy the same. When the U.S. dollar trades for about $1.30 CAN they represent roughly the same buying power.

roundpeg said:
SeanNelson said:
MINK said:

FWIW, the higher dollar number in Canada isn't really a premium. The name of the units of currency in the U.S. and Canada may be the same but they don't buy the same. When the U.S. dollar trades for about $1.30 CAN they represent roughly the same buying power.

Oh, I know that. I'm just confused about the different price information of Chevy Bolt in Canada since none of the prices indicated if the unit is in USD or Canadian Dollar.

Back