Curious behavoir in L mode

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe

I'm wondering if it's just my car.

Try this. Start the car on flat ground with the driver's seatbelt unbuckled. Release the parking brake and put the car in L. The car will start to move, unlike in normal driving conditions. You can accelerate a bit and let off the pedal and the car will slow to about 1-2 mph, but still moving. Then insert the seatbelt and the car will stop, as one would normally expect in L mode.

You can achieve the same effect by driving the car in L, setting the parking brake at a stop, and releasing the parking brake (which requires your foot on the brake pedal) and the brake pedal. The car stops when you connect the seatbelt.

In some cases, if you get up enough speed and lift off the pedal in L after starting with the seatbelt off, the car will start to stutter as it slows, like a manual ICE when the clutch needs to be pushed in at low speeds.

It doesn't happen if you take your seatbelt off while driving because that sets the parking brake when you stop, but it will happen after you start again if you don't reconnect the seatbelt.

I don't know why it acts like that, but the obvious moral is "Don't take off your seatbelt when the car is running."

I agree that it's not really a big deal, but it can be surprising if you forget to put on the belt when you start.

I believe it is a safety thing. GM does not want you to exit the car when it is in "gear" because you forgot to turn it off. Undo your seat belt in L (like your about to get out of the car) and your car will creep when you take your foot off of the brake. Just like an ICE. Trying to nudge you in remembering that the car is still in "gear". Safety first.

Why is this "curious behavior" when it is covered in the manual, and has been mentioned in this forum several times?

Back