I Drove Bolt Today...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally understand the "death trap" concept. I drive mostly conservatively and watch everybody around me closely. It is a very comfortable car, since I've been sitting in it for the last 25 years.

I'd ditch it in a second if I could swap it for EV Prelude (Prelud-e :eek: ) or even Leaf 2, which I'm anticipating to be a decent, sexy-looking alternative. I'd still keep it as a sentimental piece to show my grand kids. Of course, that would require to get my garage emptied. Fat chance. It's taken over by the kids' college crap.

Well, I have a year for the above. Meanwhile, looking forward to unveiling of Leaf 2 at CES in a couple of weeks.

I found the original post 'test drive' review to be overly critical to the point that anything smelling of GM or Chevy would not be appealing to the driver. For instance, so what if the cruise controls are on the other side of the steering wheel from what you're use to........and as far as having Russian fingers to use it..........I doubt that because GM uses very similar buttons on all or most of their latest vehicles.........namely the Chevy Volt, of which I have to admit that my pinkies work just fine and are nowhere near the size of the Russian bears.

The door handle or button experience or maybe lack of experience with door handles, was something that I just couldn't fathom to understand, even though it was a quick test drive. I have never been in any vehicle, over the course of far too many years of driving, that I'd like to state here, where I couldn't quickly figure out how to open the door from the inside. Yes, I have seen many a door lock button disappear into the door panel but in my mind, that can be construed as a positive to avoid some vehicle break-ins. Also, my Chevy Volt has the door 'lock/unlock' switch on the dash centre stack, so I'm sweating how I'm going to get use to that adjustment...........not!

Now, the clincher was when the 'tester' didn't know whether the paddle 'regen' was off or on and needed an indicator for that purpose; that is like questioning whether your mechanical braking is actually being activated when you depress the brake pedal. I have to admit, that if there is a car out there, anywhere, that has a red indicator on the dash, when the brake pedal is depressed, I haven't seen it yet. The 'regen' paddle will function the same way...........pull it up and 'regen' begins and it is progressive..........I haven't even test drove a Bolt and I know that characteristic to be a fact. Some times you have to do a little research on a vehicle to be able to properly 'test drive' one and come away with some good stuff rather than all negativity.

Oooooh, forgot one thing, btw, does the Soul EV that is so much quieter than the Bolt (due to quieter tires) have a battery range any where close to the estimated 238miles that the Bolt has...........'low rolling resistant' tires has something to do with that.........don't ya think?

A fairly useless review, since the writer has the idea that anything not identical to his current car is abnormal and wrong.

My last American-made car was AMC Pacer. So, yeah, I am biased beyond reproach. Actually, wrong... I did own a '94 Dodge Caravan. It was doing us a favor rolling down the freeway. Bless the thieves that stole it in Oakland. I got a lot of my monies back that I would otherwise have gotten only in my dreams. The paint started pealing on day 3 and they never fixed it.

Now admittedly, EVs are a different ballgame. One thing is FOR SURE. If Bolt rolled out with Leaf 2 you know where you'd find me.

Kia Soul is a super quiet ride. Whether it's tires or layers of deadening material is immaterial, pun intended. It is a quiet, peaceful ride. The range did not suck 2 years ago, it was, in fact, best in class then. Not anymore, of course, and the car is going back at the end of this year.

I am putting my money where my mouth is as my personal contribution to the future of this planet. Doing it is not pretty; EV cost is painful, lease or buy, and the only advantages of owning an EV is no maintenance and strong performances. Love that. But I have no choice, I need a car, and Bolt is it. Not all about the Bolt is in my taste, and the things I mentioned rub me the wrong way. I've been driving Japanese cars ever since I ditched that Pacer in 1980 or so with clanking differential and shot tranny. And I know I'll never get a car with the light touch cruise at 4 o'clock like my '92 Accord. But that's life.

And frankly, folks. GM needs to stop thinking it's all that and take a look around. Lao Tzu said, it takes a long time to create a perfect product (something to that effect). He is right.

iletric said:
My last American-made car was AMC Pacer. So, yeah, I am biased beyond reproach. Actually, wrong... I did own a '94 Dodge Caravan. It was doing us a favor rolling down the freeway. Bless the thieves that stole it in Oakland. I got a lot of my monies back that I would otherwise have gotten only in my dreams. The paint started pealing on day 3 and they never fixed it.

Kia Soul is a super quiet ride. Whether it's tires or layers of deadening material is immaterial, pun intended. It is a quiet, peaceful ride. The range did not suck 2 years ago, it was, in fact, best in class then. Not anymore, of course, and the car is going back at the end of this year.

And frankly, folks. GM needs to stop thinking it's all that and take a look around. Lao Tzu said, it takes a long time to create a perfect product (something to that effect). He is right.

The last time I looked at the Kia Soul EV forum, the car's on board charger was having issues with them and needed to be replaced. At over a thousand bucks a pop, it was unclear that the update has fixed the issue as to the last time I checked.

Let's hope LG has done a better job with the expensive electrical components on the Bolt.

As far as American cars, my experienced has been mixed. I thought the my 1977 Vega, and 84 Cutlass Supreme where pretty good cars. The only car worst than my Olds Cutlass Ciera was a Fiat 850 spider.

Back