To further compare - do we know Tesla Model 3 pack size?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziv

I can't remember seeing this anywhere, so I'm wondering if I just missed it? Do we know how big the Model 3 pack is?
Or is it just speculation that it will be similar to the 60 kWh Bolt pack size since they will have similar ranges?

No. Tesla has not publically announced the battery energy capacity of the Model 3. That car likely weighs the same as the Bolt EV (my guess is slightly heavier) but it's aerodynamics are significantly better than the Bolt EV.

It is likely that it has a 60kWh battery but the other question is how much of that is actually usable. We don't know how much is usable from either car.

The Model 3 will also have a larger battery option, which some speculate will be 75-80 kWh.

I think the real question will be how fast can GM, or how willing are they, to come out with a new iteration of the Bolt? They have a year and a half head start on the Model 3, but will they be able to sustain that? If they can come out with a revised Bolt around 2018, then they could really be in stiff competition.

There will be a demand for autopilot and cheaper batteries as time goes on.

I can't imagine a scenario where GM would come out with a new "iteration" within 3 yrs. I could see them adding AWD but little beyond that very soon. Maybe a larger battery option in 2019.

Just my speculation.

GM has moved extremely fast with the Bolt EV, or at least as far as we know from the public side. It'll be concept to consumer in less than 2 years - that's faster than Tesla has been moving, and they're the company every one is 'chasing' right?

As technology in vehicles increases, I think we'll see cars get 'old' faster, which means new cars need to come out faster. I know nothing about mass manufacturing, but I can see that with battery technology improving quickly, it would be simple enough for GM to released an updated Bolt Electric Vehicle with a larger capacity battery pack, a higher horsepower electric motor, AWD, lower price, or all of the above in a 2 year timeframe.

That would put them shortly after the Model 3 has hit the roads and is filling pre-orders, and would allow them to steal some would-be Tesla buyers who don't want to wait.

lasvegascolonel said:
concept to consumer in less than 2 years - that's faster than Tesla has been moving, and they're the company every one is 'chasing' right?... it would be simple enough for GM to released an updated Bolt Electric Vehicle with a larger capacity battery pack, a higher horsepower electric motor, AWD, lower price, or all of the above in a 2 year timeframe

Tesla did do exactly what you are proposing, namely, within two years of the original Model S they added AWD, lowered the price (model 70 same price as 60 with options similar to 70), increased power and kept increasing pack size.

So, yeah, everyone else is "chasing" based on your own metric of what a company has to do... ;)

An argument can be made that GM is aiming for a different slice of the market than Tesla with the Model 3. I think the wildcard is Nissan and how compelling the LEAF2 will be vis-a-vis the Bolt EV.

If Nissan is on their game, it will be that LEAF that motivates GM to revise the Bolt EV. The "easy" options for GM are a battery upgrade and adding a rear motor for AWD. After that, I think the only thing GM will do is play with the price.

Back