TireRack recommended winter package

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am looking to buy winter tires+wheel so that I can do the changes myself. Tire Rack "preferred" package is:
15" Package $530.80
Tires: Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Wheels: New Steel Wheel"

Other info:
Size: 195/65R15
Eco Focus: Green X
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 95T

Anyone tried these out? Thoughts on 15" wheels? X-Ice vs Blizzak?

My use case is: Boston suburbs to town commute daily (25miles/day). Considering driving it to weekend skiing (with overnight stay) in NH (Cannon Mt) - will need to sort out charging in Lincoln, NH.

Welcome to the forum!

There are already several threads on this subject. The "search forum" tool is your friend.

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7266

You will need tire pressure sensors, too. These are not cheap. About $40 each ($160) plus about $20-25 each time you swap the tires to transfer the ID codes.

OR, you can get cloned sensors for about $75 each, but no cost to swap. These clone the stock ID's to the winter wheels, so you can do the swap yourself, or not have to pay the fee each time.

NeilBlanchard said:
You will need tire pressure sensors, too. These are not cheap. About $40 each ($160) plus about $20-25 each time you swap the tires to transfer the ID codes.
Or you can buy a $30 TPMS relearn tool and relearn the new sensors yourself when you swap tires. It's simple, pretty quick to do, and you only need to buy the tool once.

Wonder why TireRack recommends 15" instead of 16" or 17"? The 205/55-16" Nokian R2s are .75" smaller diameter than the OEM 17"s, so unless one gets a 75-series 15" it's going to be quite a bit shorter. Less ground clearance is not a good thing in deep snow.

Way OT, but the current Grassroots Motorsports has a how-to article installing a lift kit on a Miata for driving in NE winters; visions of the ultimate yuppie/redneck symbiosis.

jack vines

I just bought my GF a 2006 Scion XB. I wish they had cheap lift kits for those! I just gave her slightly taller snow tires for it...

I bought the Tirerack package with the Michelin tires and without tire pressure sensors. The tires are much less noisy than I expected (after having used X-Ice on a different car) and I did not see an impact to range (in the one week before it got cold, which did impact range). When I start, the car tells me that it is missing the tire pressure sensors, but that's it.
The only issue is that the new wheels disturb the Blind Spot Warning system. http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7393
There is a fix described in the thread. I am planning to go to my dealer to get it fixed on warranty.

SeanNelson said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Or you can buy a $30 TPMS relearn tool and relearn the new sensors yourself when you swap tires. It's simple, pretty quick to do, and you only need to buy the tool once.
Found said relearn tool on Amazon, it's now $21 for the GM specific model.

BoltMaybe said:
SeanNelson said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Found said relearn tool on Amazon, it's now $21 for the GM specific model.
$30 in Canada ;-)

I just got a SECOND one from Amazon and now it's $18 and I got free shipping to boot.

Word of Caution! , 2 actually.

1 Put in a FRESH NEW BATTERY! I bought one a while back and had to return it coz I could not get it to activate the re-learn process.
I have a lot of never used 9v batteries in the freezer. Tried 2 didn't work (again!! ##$%@$#$@$) Well, Before returning got a new
battery from Batteries Plus and tried it..... it did work! However, it isn't just oh-so-simple!!!

2 I had to monkey around with the location and had the antenna TOUCHING the rim and the tire casing, THEN IT WORKED! All the
wheels did the same, had to actually TOUCH the antenna to the rim, and try different places right next to the valve stem.

Hope this helps somebody relieve their frustrations, (thinking the vendor sold them a piece of junk) LOL........ Coz that's what I thought!
Too bad nobody ever posted that it's not bing-bang-done! Don't give up! it does work, as long as it's an EL-50448

Back