2017 Bolt Brake booster failure question

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willeert

My 2017 Bolt has experienced the brake booster failure problem. For those not aware this manifests itself as a thumping noise that occurs after the car has been sitting for a while. The thumping will start when the door of the car is opened. It will go away ( initially) if the brake pedal is pushed. The brake booster part is called "iboost" and was made by Bosch. It live under the hood near the master cylinder. You can feel it thumping if you feel it. My understanding is only the 2017 Bolt used this part and it was changed for 2018's forward.

So mine has failed at 36,000 km and the car is off warranty for this part. I estimate it will cost me about $2000 Canadian to buy the part and have it installed. I am not happy about this expense but cars are not cheap to own or operate. The question is - Is the replacement part the same part? It has a different part number. I have found people who say the part is the same and they have experienced multiple failures. I am not going to spend $2000 on a brake repair only to have it fail repeatedly. There are lots of EV's out there and the Bolt can go away and I will get something that I do not have to worry about.

So - Do anyone know definitely if the part is the same or has been upgraded?

Thanks for any replies,
Will

If you have a legitimate safety angle to the problem, then I'd file a complaint with https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/defects-recalls-vehicles-tires-child-car-seats/report-potential-safety-defect-vehicles-tires-child-car-seats. For those in the US, file them with NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/.

If there is a legitimate safety defect, GM might be forced to issue a recall and reimburse those who paid for repairs out of pocket.

Back