Bolt convenience question

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiguy

With my 2017 bolt I have started using the mychevy app a bit. I like the remote start function, but honestly find the range or lack of range to be very limiting. I have wifi that the bolt is connected to. However it seems the mychevy app does not utilize wifi for the key fob functions. I assume if I wanted to pay 25$ a month I could use onstar for this, but are there other options as well? I would love to pre start the car on a snowy day as it sits plugged in in the driveway and just have the snow melt off while I get ready for work.

You could walk to the glass with the key fob and do the 'precondition'. And remember, this is to heat or cool the car depending on the season.

I can walk to this wall which red brick covered on the outside where my car is parked and the key fob works thru the wall!

The Bolt's app uses the cellular system, so the "range" is essentially unlimited. It does have to be set up for your car; my salesman did that for me. It does NOT react instantly, the delay is apparently dependent on the cellular system. You do not need to be subscribed ot OnStar for the app to work. Naturally, you need a cell signal at both your and the car's locations.

jdunmyer said:
The Bolt's app uses the cellular system, so the "range" is essentially unlimited. It does have to be set up for your car; my salesman did that for me. It does NOT react instantly, the delay is apparently dependent on the cellular system. You do not need to be subscribed ot OnStar for the app to work. Naturally, you need a cell signal at both your and the car's locations.

I think you do need an OnStar basic plan for the app to work. However, all Bolts come with 5 years free, and the oldest Bolt is only 4 years, so everyone still gets it for free.

GetOffYourGas said:
jdunmyer said:

I think you do need an OnStar basic plan for the app to work. However, all Bolts come with 5 years free, and the oldest Bolt is only 4 years, so everyone still gets it for free.
Except for me apparently. The onstar on my car was turned off or unsubscribed when i bought it and now they want like 24$ a month for the most basic of service. Having that for cellular remote pre start and such would be cool, but hardly worth the 200+$ a year.

GetOffYourGas said:
jdunmyer said:

We didn't get that in Canada - 3 months free, one of which was during pandemic lockdown. :lol:

I'm a little confused about the wording in our manual - remote start function from the key fob is available free without subscription for 10 years. I'm wondering what devilry they've got planned for what seems to be a bluetooth device that shouldn't need a subscription to operate.

ElectricPony said:
GetOffYourGas said:
jdunmyer said:

We didn't get that in Canada - 3 months free, one of which was during pandemic lockdown. :lol:

I'm a little confused about the wording in our manual - remote start function from the key fob is available free without subscription for 10 years. I'm wondering what devilry they've got planned for what seems to be a bluetooth device that shouldn't need a subscription to operate.

Are you sure? In the US, I got 3 months free of full OnStar capabilities, and 5 years free of the Basic. Why rip off the Canadians like that?

And you need to be careful with the wording.
They change it a lot.

For a while it was the Basic Package.
Then I think they changed it to the "Remote Commands" package, which was free for 5 years, but not necessarily Basic, which didn't include "Remote Commands" or something like that...
At least in the US, remote commands should be free for 5 years..

From what I have heard, it is very common for the OnStar person who is called to NOT know this, and frequently requires escalation and the right wording...

GetOffYourGas said:
ElectricPony said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Are you sure? In the US, I got 3 months free of full OnStar capabilities, and 5 years free of the Basic. Why rip off the Canadians like that?

I'll have to take a closer look. They've been sending us regular reminders that my wife is no longer protected in the case of fiery crashes caused by mutant ninja terrorists now that we've decided to foolishly let our subscription lapse. Might just be marketing wank at work, but my understanding is that the OnStar button only works to transmit our credit card number now. Still receiving the monthly Chev vehicle use and condition summary and the occasional oil change reminder. Need to re-read the manual; haven't been able to find the dipstick.

It was a bit of a :shock: moment the first time I was connecting to Bluetooth devices while my wife had the car at work and one normally associated with the car was in range. Just my key fob broadcasting from the bedroom.

Back