Really Flaky USB connection

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiguy

I have a USB drive that i store a lot of my music on. It works fine on virtually everything i plug it into to listen to this music, which includes past cars like my 2010 honda insight. Connecting it into my bolt however is really hit or miss and mostly miss. Is there an update to the usb connections on the 2017 model that alleviates this?
I also noticed the phone connection via usb provides what my motorola call slow charging.

Sounds like that port isn't putting out a full 5v and your drive isn't getting quite enough power, which your phone also indicates.

Which port are you using? My USB tester shows 5.15v on all four ports on my 2017 Premier.

marspilgrim said:
Sounds like that port isn't putting out a full 5v and your drive isn't getting quite enough power, which your phone also indicates.

Which port are you using? My USB tester shows 5.15v on all four ports on my 2017 Premier.
There are 4 ports? I have only found 2 and they are in the center console and both suck. Is it only on the premier trim there are more ports?

Yes, the Premier adds two on the back of the center console for rear passengers. But I just measured mine again charging my old iPhone SE and a AA battery charger and the best amps reading I got was .98 so pretty weak as far as charging goes. And from experience I know plugging in my phone to run Google Maps it can't really add juice to the phone, just maintains what it had at best.

Some quick research shows that most car USB ports aren't much better and are not meant for high speed charging. I suspect there isn't a fix for this, it's whatever GM installed.

I am fine with not charging the phone fast. I have a 12v adapter for that. I am mostly annoyed that my usb drive doesn't get recognized constantly by the car. I even have times where its playing a song off it and it suddenly stops and doesnt recognize it suddenly.

Next thing i will try out is a powered usb hub. I hear that often times the power output from these is questionable. Maybe if i take power out of the equation it will help with the connectivity. Though i cant imagine a flash drive takes much power, especially a usb 2.0.

Back