How does ChargePoint work, and any idea as to why this happened?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyInGA

Hello All,

Even though I'm a new EV owner, I have been involved with different Forums since 2006. So, I did do a search before making this post.
(apologies if it was somewhere else)

Now, I did make a post in the ChargePoint thread, http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6905&p=36529#p36528 , and did a Title search by what I have here.

But it appears the CP person last active date is a - , I'm assuming (oh-oh) that he/she hasn't been online here is a while. And, a Title search turned up zilch.

Now, back on 5/31, I went to my local CP charging station to fully charge my 2020 Chevy Bolt Premier (in spite this, the Odometer didn't change, but that's a story for another time), and my bill was $22.25 (that was $0.25 cents per minute, OUCH!; my C-HR would have been $17.09). Then, I got an Email from charge point saying my account has been funded $10.00.

Well, not understanding this, I contacted CP, and she mentioned something (sorry, my hearing problem made it difficult to catch everything), about having a -$12.25 balance (still don't understand wtf happened).

Then, the next day, I get another Email saying my CP has been funded $20.00, and I have -$7.25 to use on my next purchase.

My Credit Card has two charges on it. One for $10.00 on 6/3, and another for $20.00 on 6/4.

Can anyone explain this? Not only the way CP works. But, why in the hell did they make 2 separate charges, and overcharged me?

For sure, not a happy camper with CP at this time.

Thanks,

There are times when it's important to read the terms of service. This is one of those times.

This is from the ChargePoint Terms of Service page: https://na.chargepoint.com/terms_web/233

Minimum Account Balances, Fees and Charges:

Although ChargePoint takes a credit card number when you apply for a ChargePoint Card, your credit card will not be charged until the first time you use your ChargePoint Card at a ChargePoint Enabled Charging Station that requires payment. Except as otherwise set forth in the Program Terms, at that time, your account will be charged an initial prepaid balance in the amount of ten dollars ($10.00) and the session fees associated with your charging session will be deducted from that balance. In addition, you authorize ChargePoint to, from time to time, replenish your account, through a charge to your credit card, in an amount equal to the greater of (i) ten dollars ($10.00) or (ii) your average monthly fees, each time your account balance falls below the replenishment threshold (currently $5.00).
You agree that your replenishment amount and replenishment threshold are both subject to change based on your average monthly usage.

You agree to waive all interest or other benefits, if any, which may accrue on any prepaid balances in your ChargePoint Card. In the event that the balance in your ChargePoint Account cannot be replenished because payment on your credit card is declined, or in the event of any other failure by you to maintain the required balance or properly maintain your account, ChargePoint may close your account and, in the case of any negative account balance, institute collection proceedings in order to collect any unpaid balance and, at ChargePoint's sole option, all fees, costs or other expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys fees) incurred by ChargePoint in connection with its collection efforts.

So it operated exactly as specified here. ChargePoint charged the initial $10. You racked up $22.50 in charging putting you at -$12.50. ChargePoint replenished your account with $20, leaving you with a $7.50 balance.

I know it seems nonsensical. But ChargePoint started with a RFID/App based system primarily with L2 stations with extremely low charge amounts and quite limited usage. Because of this much of their costs would be eaten up charging small exact amounts. So, they developed this system of charging larger amounts to the account then drawing from the account until it empties, replenishing as needed. A $1 credit card charge can cost the vendor up to 35 cents. But it's a lot less of a hit when it's 40 cents for a $10 charge and then 10 $1 charging sessions can be charged against the account without addition fees.

I just checked my account. I currently have a $7 balance. It's how ChargePoint works.

ga2500ev

ga2500ev said:
There are times when it's important to read the terms of service. This is one of those times.

This is from the ChargePoint Terms of Service page: https://na.chargepoint.com/terms_web/233

I know it seems nonsensical. But ChargePoint started with a RFID/App based system primarily with L2 stations with extremely low charge amounts and quite limited usage. Because of this much of their costs would be eaten up charging small exact amounts. So, they developed this system of charging larger amounts to the account then drawing from the account until it empties, replenishing as needed. A $1 credit card charge can cost the vendor up to 35 cents. But it's a lot less of a hit when it's 40 cents for a $10 charge and then 10 $1 charging sessions can be charged against the account without addition fees.

I just checked my account. I currently have a $7 balance. It's how ChargePoint works.

ga2500ev
Thanks for the info.

Be that as it may, this should have been made clearer. Either by the dealership, or CP

And, still, quite a bit of a shock (bad enough at $0.25/min, let alone them charging my c/c an extra $7.50 just because of their bookkeeping methods.

Sure am glad I don't have to rely on them all the time, though.

Back