Chevrolet/GM update on new battery software package

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoltEV

I received this email (personalized to me) on November 19th:

Thanks again for your continued patience as the team at Chevrolet works as quickly as we can to provide you with replacement battery modules for your Bolt EV. Battery replacements have begun, and we continue to work with our battery supplier to obtain more battery modules to help speed up the replacement process.

We are pleased to inform you that we have developed an advanced diagnostic software package that will remove parking and charging limitations on your 2019 vehicle while we work on building replacement battery modules. This software will automatically limit your vehicle’s maximum state of charge to 80%, which will allow you to safely resume:

• Charging indoors overnight

• Depleting your vehicle’s battery below 70 miles (113 km) of range, resulting in greater overall vehicle range compared to GM’s prior interim charging guidance

• Parking indoors after charging

This software also contains new diagnostics designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a rare battery issue in your vehicle.

This software is now available for your 2019 vehicle.
Schedule a service appointment at your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to have the software installed. The service should take approximately 1-3 hours to complete. Until you have the software installed, we ask that you still follow our previous guidelines, which are outlined on our website:

http://www.chevy.com/boltevrecall

This software is not the final recall remedy and you will be notified when battery modules are available for replacement.

Once again, we appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, please contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY or your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.

Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet

Am I mssing something? Is this any different than simply setting "Hilltop reserve" (for older Bolts) or setting max SoC to 80% on newer Bolts?

Well, I *suppose* that it does have some diagnostic features that will warn if it detects bad cell(s) ...

SparkE said:
Am I mssing something? Is this any different than simply setting "Hilltop reserve" (for older Bolts) or setting max SoC to 80% on newer Bolts?

Well, I *suppose* that it does have some diagnostic features that will warn if it detects bad cell(s) ...
At a minimum, it eliminates your ability to turn off Hilltop Reserve (for older Bolts) and setting max SoC to higher than 80% on newer Bolts, when desired or needed.

AND: if your Bolt bursts into flames, you lose the ability to blame GM; but maybe your liability insurance covers your advice?!? :lol:

All,

-- My question is that when all the software fixes, module replacements are done will our cars charge faster? .. Please!

I had a serious case of DCFC envy recently when I was at an Electrify America facility and noticed a VW ID4 charging at 107kW right next to me.

Wishful thinking perhaps? ..

AJ

The best I have been able to achieve at EA is 50KWh dowload.

Yes we all wish we could have todays features on yesterday’s vehicles!

BoltEV said:
The best I have been able to achieve at EA is 50KWh dowload.

I think my 2020 Bolt EA charged at 60kW once .. Not bad.

With 50-53kW typical.

Thanks, AJ

Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh.

Some folks including myself have noticed what seems to be weird (new) tapering behavior as you get close to 80%: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/new-software-update-80-limit-terrible-charging-experience.41724/.

Also, the other night, when sitting in my car on free public L2, once my car hit 80% and the car's green light turned solid, I could hear the turbulence/bubbling sound of battery coolant while sitting in my car. I didn't lift the hood again to confirm what I noted at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/new-software-update-80-limit-terrible-charging-experience.41724/#post-674770 from the night before.

Was also interesting to look at the energy screen with the 3 categories and watch the section for battery conditioning and the % grow in real time and eventually reach 100%.

cwerdna said:
Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh.

Some folks including myself have noticed what seems to be weird (new) tapering behavior as you get close to 80%: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/new-software-update-80-limit-terrible-charging-experience.41724/.

Also, the other night, when sitting in my car on free public L2, once my car hit 80% and the car's green light turned solid, I could hear the turbulence/bubbling sound of battery coolant while sitting in my car. I didn't lift the hood again to confirm what I noted at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/new-software-update-80-limit-terrible-charging-experience.41724/#post-674770 from the night before.

Was also interesting to look at the energy screen with the 3 categories and watch the section for battery conditioning and the % grow in real time and eventually reach 100%.

If the software detects any abnormalities, it will notify you (battery fault, see dealer within 1 day on OnStar), prevent the car from being charged at all, regardless of the SoC, and alert you on the dash with the car fault icon (car with the! in the middle).

Back