How does it handle?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

columbo

I just noticed the Bolt EV specifications says the rear axle is not independent suspension.

Combine that with the short wheelbase, how does it handle out on the highway? Or is this a city car - but that's the point of the 200+ mile range right?

Consumer Reports says:
By virtue of the low-mounted battery, the Bolt EV feels planted in corners, despite its tall stance. The car is eager to tackle a curvy road and is actually fun to drive—virtues that most electric vehicles can't claim. The ride is firm, yet compliant and composed, making the Bolt feel solid and substantial.

The rear suspension I think is classified as independent. It uses a torque arm with struts, it just doesn't have double wishbone.

Bolt should ride pretty good with it's high weight and strong springs.

The suspension development engineer is an SCCA racer. While the tires do not have a huge amount of grip, the suspension is said to be taut and controlled without being harsh.

Michael

I took a test drive on Saturday afternoon in the Bolt at Capitol Chevrolet in San Jose. I thought the Bolt handled very well given the tires grip level. I only got up to 75 mph though. The ride was well controlled and not harsh. I really liked the passing power. It really accelerates from 50 mph with some serious grunt! Looking forward to mine being delivered hopefully before Christmas.

Michael1 said:
The suspension development engineer is an SCCA racer. While the tires do not have a huge amount of grip, the suspension is said to be taut and controlled without being harsh.

Michael

This gives me some hope. An SCCA racer cares about tight steering and a planted suspension. Both of which are important to me.

Who will be the first to auto-cross their Bolt? Boy would it surprise some of the competition.

Evray said:
I took a test drive on Saturday afternoon in the Bolt at Capitol Chevrolet in San Jose. I thought the Bolt handled very well given the tires grip level. I only got up to 75 mph though. The ride was well controlled and not harsh. I really liked the passing power. It really accelerates from 50 mph with some serious grunt! Looking forward to mine being delivered hopefully before Christmas.

Have you ever driven a Spark EV? How does it compare in acceleration if you have driven one of those before?

For that matter, has anyone driven both of them and compared? I'm hoping it's not slower in mid-range than my Spark EV.

I think it handles great in the city and on the highway. Feels very stable and planted, very flat through corners. To me the handling feels very european. The ride is more firm than I was expecting, I enjoy that feeling, but it does jolt you every now and then.

kicoken said:
I think it handles great in the city and on the highway. Feels very stable and planted, very flat through corners. To me the handling feels very european. The ride is more firm than I was expecting, I enjoy that feeling, but it does jolt you every now and then.

European handling has been described by more than one person what exactly does that mean European feel?

To me it means the car feels more balanced and tight, slightly harsher ride, more aggressive spring rates, less body roll compared to what I would expect in a non-performance American car. It's like driving a Ford Fusion and then getting in a C class, the C class just feels more composed, more focused on performance/handling when driving, at least to me.

It's all subjective though best thing to do is drive it and find out!

Aidan said:
kicoken said:

European handling has been described by more than one person what exactly does that mean European feel?

Taught, not bouncy like a Cadillac, good rebound, low body roll, communicative and direct steering, you feel connected to the car.

JupiterMoon said:
Aidan said:
kicoken said:

Taught, not bouncy like a Cadillac, good rebound, low body roll, communicative and direct steering, you feel connected to the car.

If this really describes the Bolt's handling, I cannot wait to test drive one. Nissan made far too many compromises to the Leaf in order to make it a softer, more "comfortable" ride. It leaves you feeling disconnected from the road, and the driving experience in general.

GetOffYourGas said:
JupiterMoon said:
Aidan said:

If this really describes the Bolt's handling, I cannot wait to test drive one. Nissan made far too many compromises to the Leaf in order to make it a softer, more "comfortable" ride. It leaves you feeling disconnected from the road, and the driving experience in general.

I'd like to see how it feels as well as I'm coming from a Spark EV. My car is definitely tuned more for comfort than anything else. It's got a good ride for a car that small but at the same time it really lets itself down during hard cornering.

Aidan said:
kicoken said:

And there is European, and European. Does it feel more like Gina Lollobrigida, or Audrey Tautou ?

Initially I found it to be a bit light in steering, compared to the European (German) cars I've been driving almost exclusively for years. Probably more psychological than physiological but I feel like steering on the heavier side provides a better road feel (and promotes two-handed steering). Besides, I'm used to it.

Given the weight of the car, and steering lightness, I expected a bit of under or oversteer on the Bolt, but so far the proportionality seems appropriate, a reasonable tradeoff for the weight. I haven't pushed it through turns yet but so far I am not feeling any tendency to roll or plow. It doesn't have any bad manners that I've been able to find yet.

On the ride, I'd agree with the other comments. It is pleasingly firm, but not busy or jiggly.

Love the ride, the comfort and feel of the suspension. If you are coming from an ICE, the EV experience is much more pleasurable. Much quieter with almost no vibrations.

If you are coming from the Leaf - be forewarned! When starting out in the Bolt, it seems similar to Nissan. However, step on that accelerator... just a little... and WHOOSH! This car flies, and I haven't even tried "sport" mode yet. When starting from stop into a 90 degree turn, I've gotten the feeling like I might fly off the curve. The car is firmly planted, but that acceleration (beyond the Leaf's 0-20 mph) is unexpected.

In many cars, and I mean ICE cars, rapidly changing lane while flooring the gas pedal results in front-end instability due to torque steer. However it is surprisingly subdued on the Bolt and I can veer into another lane and quickly accelerate without wrestling for control of the car. It's really nice.

I agree the steering is surprisingly light and the turns lock-to-lock are a bit more than what I'm used to on my VW, but neither are a problem. The car does seem uncertain which way to turn when the wheel is nearly centered and I'm making small changes, but either the problem lessened as I drove it (tires breaking in, perhaps) or I simply got used to it.

By the way Sport mode doesn't make the car faster; it just makes the throttle more responsive, meaning 10% throttle in Sport mode might be the same as 30% throttle in Normal mode, to throw out random numbers. Peak acceleration is unaffected.

Back