2021 Bolt: How to maximize range

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debrastoleroff

I just leased a 2021 Bolt. Unlike my 2017 Bolt, I'm noticing the 2021 somehow uses more electricity. With my 2017 Bolt, I managed the settings to maximize range and typically used 6-15 miles in a 10 mile range (depending on hills). I've already changed the settings as I did with my 2017 Bolt (including not using the heat) but the 2021 Bolt is using 10 - 20 miles in a 10 mile range. What is different? Any suggestions for settings I can control?

Since you had a Bolt previously, you probably already know these things, but I'll list them anyway for newbies who may be reading this post.

Range decreases as speed increases, so drive slower to increase range. (same for an ICE car)
Higher tire pressure is better than lower pressure. I think the max sidewall pressure is around 44, I used 42.
Limit the use of heat or A/C
Turn auto defog off
Precondition before you leave to heat up the battery.

And finally, range is an estimate and will change as the above factors (and outside temp, wind, etc) change. It's better to think about battery % and monitor miles/kWh.

debrastoleroff said:
I just leased a 2021 Bolt. Unlike my 2017 Bolt, I'm noticing the 2021 somehow uses more electricity. With my 2017 Bolt, I managed the settings to maximize range and typically used 6-15 miles in a 10 mile range (depending on hills). I've already changed the settings as I did with my 2017 Bolt (including not using the heat) but the 2021 Bolt is using 10 - 20 miles in a 10 mile range. What is different? Any suggestions for settings I can control?

You are referring to miles of range used per miles travelled. But you just got the car, so the "miles of range" estimate may not be based entirely off your own travel yet. The 2017 "got to know you" and your driving habits. That's why the range estimate was centered on your range used. Let this car acclimate to you for a little while, and hopefully the range estimate will learn to be more accurate.

Much more importantly, if you are going to gauge how much electricity is being used, make sure you are looking at the efficiency (miles per kWh) and not the range estimate. How does that compare with your 2017 Bolt?

Thanks for these replies. I will give the car more time to adjust but I don't recall having this issue when I first leased the 2017. I rarely drive over 50 miles an hour unless on the highway, rarely see the green circle turn yellow. My efficiency averages 3.6 kWh. Yesterday I drove 9.7 miles. The odometer showed I used 20 miles. I live on a hill so typically, in my 2017 the odometer would show the use of 10 miles for that ride due to the recharge going down the hill. I do know all the tips on what uses electricity in the car. For some reason, with the 2021 I have not yet been able to figure out how to use the fan without turning the rest of the electricity on even when I turn of the AUTO. That was one of my tricks with the 2017. I could use the fan without heat to help defrost if needed or to get air circulation in the car without air conditioning. Any suggestions for this? THANKS.

I found the problem. There is an option for auto defrost in vehicle settings. It was turned on. Since I turned it off my use of miles has been more normal.

Back